Why rolled crimp?

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

c_matt92

Why rolled crimp?

Postby c_matt92 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:20 am

I am new to reloading TSS but use to trap shoot heavy and would reload that until I got to where I shot enough I could buy loaded shells in bulk cheaper then reload. I always used the press to give them a crimp and have never dealt with rolled crimps so I'm curious why from the sounds of it most of you guys roll crimp instead of the traditional star fold?

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Re: Why rolled crimp?

Postby Fishh2o » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:34 pm

The main reason I like to roll crimp is water proofing the loads. Sure you can seal both but I find the Roll to seal better. I also like the look and I done make a lot of noise back here with a cordless drill. My MEC Sizemaster you can hear across the house.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:00 pm

With me it's mostly a matter of convenience. Whichever method works with the fit best, that's what I do. Some of my loads are specifically meant to be rolled though.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:48 pm

hawglips

Why are some of your loads specifically meant to be rolled? If I had to guess it would be to lower pressure.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:06 pm

Fishh2o wrote:hawglips

Why are some of your loads specifically meant to be rolled? If I had to guess it would be to lower pressure.

Usually it's just a matter of fit. There is almost always a trade-off between pressure and velocity, so it's typically a wash as to whether you roll crimp to lower it, or back off the powder charge and fold crimp.

Return to “TSS”