Safe hull substitution? (20 ga.)

General data and information handloading data

Moderator: hawglips

bjp9527

Safe hull substitution? (20 ga.)

Postby bjp9527 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:29 pm

I have read online that fiocci hulls (3in. 20ga.) and cheddite hulls are pretty much identical, but fiocci and cheddite primers are not. Can anyone confirm or correct this? I don't want to blow my gun up (or worse) by making an unsafe hull substitution.

I'm just getting into handloading since the shelves have been pretty sparse on 20 ga. When I started doing a little research, I find out that TSS and duplex loads can do a lot better than anything that would be commercially available anyway - so here I am.

I've been limited in what to buy based on what's available, rather than being able to get a load recipe and buy every component for it. I have fiocci hulls (I wanted cheddite but couldn't find them), and I have cheddite primers. I'm able to find loads that call for fiocci primers and hulls, or for cheddite primers and hulls, but not any that mix and match.

patternfreak

Re: Safe hull substitution? (20 ga.)

Postby patternfreak » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:46 am

The fiocchi primers are generally going to be a little colder than the cheddites. I would feel comfortable substituting data for a load with a cheddite hull into a fiocchi hull. I WOULD NOT feel comfortable doing this the other way around and substituting a cheddite hull/primer into a tested fiocchi load.

At the end of the day ballistic testing is cheap insurance. You can send 5 shots, pay $25, and know for sure

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:19 am

I second the get it tested advice. But one other thing to consider is the peak chamber pressure of the load you'd be substituting a different hull for, and the SAAMI MAP for that gauge and length of shell. Depending on those two things, I may or may not feel comfortable substituting in a different hull. But this comfort or discomfort comes because I've had so many hundreds of loads tested and have lots of benchmarks and powder charge ranges and payloads to compare it with. So, the best move is, if you are not using already tested load data, get it tested.

bjp9527

Postby bjp9527 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:26 pm

Sounds like "get it tested" is the consensus. Is that $25 through Precision Reloading? or where is a good place for testing?

patternfreak

Postby patternfreak » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:05 am

Bruce Ducksworth
352-250-9292

Return to “General and Beginners Information”