New to Handloading

Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: hawglips

bjp9527

New to Handloading

Postby bjp9527 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:36 pm

Hi everyone, I've been mostly a target shooter for 6 or 7 years, and this year I decided to get into hunting. I've started to look into hand loading, since the shelves are pretty much bare as far as 20 gauge options. Then with a little research, I'm finding out that duplexing TSS can give better options than would be commercially available anyway. Published load data is hard to find, and it seems like most of the world's knowledge on the topic is to be found in this and a couple of other forums. So please bear with my newbie questions and help me avoid any rookie mistakes!

paulinkansas

Re: New to Handloading

Postby paulinkansas » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:28 am

What are your newbie questions?

Here are the answers. Mec Sizemaster. STEEL powder. Straight wall hulls. Fed primer. The non-tox wad that gives you the best pattern. Ballistic Products. Precision Reloading. Alliant Powder website recipes.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:02 am

Welcome to the board!

bjp9527

Postby bjp9527 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:36 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Hal and Paul. Happy to be here.

@Paul, my newbie questions have to do with trying to figure out loads that will work given the components I'm actually able to find in stock. Also trying to figure out duplex load combos that make sense. I'm sure other questions will come up as I go along.

I'm wanting to work up a 20ga duck/goose combo load. I'm thinking TSS#8 and steel#3 might work well.
And possibly also a turkey load using TSS#8 and lead#5.
Hopefully that makes sense? (I'm also posting this question under TSS, if you don't want to answer it here so it doesn't get two parallel threads running on it).

Return to “Introductions”