20 Ga Duplex Cold Weather Test

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

patternfreak

Re: 20 Ga Duplex Cold Weather Test

Postby patternfreak » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:29 am

Dave,

To be honest the geese did it right most of the early season so most of my shots were at decoying ranges. Our early season laws allow liberal limits and no plugs are required, so you can still need to take a far shot even if the birds decoyed well.

My gun will hold four 3" shells with the plug out or five 2 3/4" shells. My best shooting was 3 geese with my 4 shots. I hurried and missed on my 2nd shot, but connected on my 1st, 3rd, and 4th. The furthest I have attempted to shoot at a goose with the BB/7.5 blend is 50 yards. At that range it looked like you sucked the life out of him with a vacuum. Stone cold dead before he hit the ground.

Past this range I don't have much need to take a shot, but I would not be afraid to take a 65 yard shot with this load. It can handle it. I can confidently say from 20-50 yards it will very cleanly kill. I don't think the BB steel is necessary so I have switched now to using #1 steel. The BB steel has a low pellet count and is difficult to load in the smaller diameter 20 Ga wad. The #1 steel is still effective on killing a goose at decoying ranges and the TSS can take care of the longer work. These loads are shot out of my factory IC choke. It does well with the larger shot sizes, but when I move to smaller sizes like a 3/9 blend the factory MOD is more effective at 40 yards

Dave in AZ

Re: 20 Ga Duplex Cold Weather Test

Postby Dave in AZ » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:09 pm

Thx! Great info!!

Return to “TSS”