New to TSS - 12g, 3in., Duplex #8 TSS w/#2 Steel

Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: hawglips

aaronkc

New to TSS - 12g, 3in., Duplex #8 TSS w/#2 Steel

Postby aaronkc » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading a lot on of great info within the Forums and am really excited to put together some 12guage duplex loads for this coming waterfowl season. I get a lot of Snow's & Specks, plus med/large ducks at my blind (shooting over rice fields flooded and non-flooded), in the passed I've shot 3in or 3-1/2 #2 steel loads but want to upgrade them by swapping in 0.25oz of #8 TSS.

I was hoping to start my first batch by loading 12g, 3in hulls, with a 1-1/4oz duplex load (0.25oz #8 TSS and 1oz #2 steel). One if the issues I'm having is that I can't seem to find many options in the BPI "Status of Steel" manual for 1-1/4oz load using Longshot Powder (which is the powder I currently have, but am trying to find some Alliant Steel somewhere).

I just bought 5lbs of #8 TSS from Hal; hopefully he can send me some top secret recipe's soon :D . In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone else had some good ideas, recommendations, and/or recipes for me? (Dave in AZ and paulinkansas, feel free to chime in)

-Aaron

paulinkansas

Re: New to TSS - 12g, 3in., Duplex #8 TSS w/#2 Steel

Postby paulinkansas » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:08 am

Not sure what kind of hulls you have, but they are probably straight wall hulls like Fed of Ched. You can look on the Hodgdon website and find no steel recipes. The Alliant website has recipes. For now you should try to get the powder in those reciepes, none use Longshot. Use Ballistic Products Load of the Week at your own risk. That's like using "Men's Magazine" girl of the month. Use it as your own risk.

aaronkc

Postby aaronkc » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:00 pm

Paulinkansas -

Haha! I like the comparison. Thank you for reaching out! I have Federal and Cheddite hulls. Trying to find Alliant Steel & BlueDot but has been extremely challenging (as I'm sure you're already aware).

Can I substitute Hevi-shot load data for TSS+Steel duplex loads or just Steel data for TSS+Steel?

I've read in some of your posts that say when duplexing, I should switch to 1 size smaller wad (of the same model type). Would that apply to 12g, 3in loads too? And if I wanted to increase the fps on published load data from say, 1,200 fps or less (sub 10k pressure) to 1,300-1,400 fps, what's the best way to do that? Is it generally pretty safe to add 2 or 3 extra grains of powder while keeping the same shot weight/volume?

-Aaron

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:28 pm

aaronkc wrote:
Can I substitute Hevi-shot load data for TSS+Steel duplex loads or just Steel data for TSS+Steel?

I've read in some of your posts that say when duplexing, I should switch to 1 size smaller wad (of the same model type). Would that apply to 12g, 3in loads too? And if I wanted to increase the fps on published load data from say, 1,200 fps or less (sub 10k pressure) to 1,300-1,400 fps, what's the best way to do that? Is it generally pretty safe to add 2 or 3 extra grains of powder while keeping the same shot weight/volume?

-Aaron

1. I would not use Hevi data, just steel data for TSSxsteel.
2. I use 1.125 oz wads for a 1.25 oz duplex load, and use a published 1.25 oz load for steel in 3" straight wall hulls. Bumping up the powder load is something to do at your own risk. I use a published load around 1300-1350 fps, there is no reason for me to exceed that because of the TSS.

aaronkc

Postby aaronkc » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:50 pm

Great, thank you for that info, huge help! I forgot to mention in my last post that my shotgun is chambered in 3.5in, so it can handle pressure up to 14,000 (figured it would be relevant to my previous question). I do agree that the TSS going at 1,300-1,350 fps should be sufficient, however, I was curious about how that effects the distance/penetration of the steel (on Snow's/Speck's) when its going 1,300fps? Would I have to check the KPY Ballistics data for that?

Is the idea (at 1,300 fps) to have the steel be effective on the geese/ducks closer in & the TSS be more effective on the ones further out?

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:12 am

aaronkc wrote: Would I have to check the KPY Ballistics data for that?

Is the idea (at 1,300 fps) to have the steel be effective on the geese/ducks closer in & the TSS be more effective on the ones further out?

1. Yes, or set up a patterning board with some home made ballistic gel. (I use Wal Mart gelatin at 4x the concentration on the package)

2. The pattern of the steel shot component of the payload is going to have a tighter pattern at 1300 fps than it will at 1450+ fps. You'll have more hits on the bird, but at a lower velocity. It's kind of a tradeoff. Like the hot crazy matrix.

aaronkc

Postby aaronkc » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:23 pm

Cool. Yeah saw crazy hot matrix video on YouTube a while back, hilarious.

Which is generally recommended: TSS over Steel, or Steel over TSS? Or, do I just gotta load up both types & see which pattern better?

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:36 am

TSS at the bottom of the wad, steel shot on top of the TSS. Your payload may deviate by 1/32 or 1/16 of an ounce in order to get a good crimp. I sub Ched for Fed 3" hulls, although the capacity is slightly smaller. In other words, I use Ched hulls for Fed hulls for recipes from the Alliant website, but my payload is going to be less than what is published. Ched primers are not as hot as Fed primers. Using a lower weight payload, no explanation necessary.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:37 am

I recommend you try it both ways - TSS on bottom and TSS on top - and see which pattern you like.

TSS on bottom can tend to disrupt the pattern some. TSS on top generally patterns tighter. I've mixed them together before loading also. So, depending on what you are looking for.

Return to “Introductions”