What got you started hunting Turkey's

Turkey hunting

Moderator: hawglips

Thunder Chicken

What got you started hunting Turkey's

Postby Thunder Chicken » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:03 pm

A old marine from central Arkansas who has long since gone to the happy hunting grounds. He started it all with a pickle jar full of turkey beards and throwing my self winding Timex out the window telling me turkeys don't wear watches. My first hunt in the Ouachita NF around Boonville Arkansas was where I got hooked. Perfect setup top of a mountain strut zone behind me on a logging road. Had two draws coming up the mountain on my left and right. When the whippoorwills stopped he started. I called to him on my Lynch hen call a few times he came running. About 100 yds out he went silent. I had a big rock behind me and I started waiting. What seemed like an eternity after hearing a strange noise behind me he stepped out from behind the big rock. He turned and looked at me and I think I beat him to the bottom of the mountain and he was flying! Been hooked ever since.

paulinkansas

Re: What got you started hunting Turkey's

Postby paulinkansas » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:50 am

Snow goose season was over and there was nothing else in season to hunt except turkeys.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:51 am

My brother got me started.

What got me hooked was that first hunt I killed one - hearing the gobbling, then the drumming and footsteps behind the rhododendrons, and then seeing him pop out in full strut. It's all I could talk about for then next 6 hours....

rt2bowhunter

Postby rt2bowhunter » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:38 pm

I started all on my own, I can remember when there wasn't any turkeys in my area. And when i started if you heard one gobble a week you was lucky. Then over time there was more and more. I enjoy calling them in there for about 20 years i carried nothing but a bow. Now i'm getting back into hunting them with a shotgun.

Return to “Turkey”