duplex: when does TSS overtake steel?

General Chit Chat

Moderator: hawglips

continental shooter

duplex: when does TSS overtake steel?

Postby continental shooter » Sat May 08, 2021 2:42 pm

Hi all,

I use duplex Load from Hal and Dave and they do perform well for my needs so, not looking for any change there.

However, in my endless attempt to understand it all, i got tangled in an epic question to which, so far, I cannot find the answer (age's catching up :D )

anyway, we all agree that matching the pellets using CONSEP penetration, makes sense, however, as per title, the question is: if i load spacers/TSS #9/Steel #2... when will TSS overtake steel? and will a spacer between TSS and Steel delay that?

Reason I'm asking is that i can't work out the loss of speed per pellet so: I know that TSS, being heavier, will not lose as much speed as steel does. I also know that the smaller pellets are prone to lose speed quicker than the bigger ones... this compensation (if you allow me) is throwing my calcs off so, wondered if anyone had done any calcs and could steer me into the right patch

Many Thanks ,

paulinkansas

Re: duplex: when does TSS overtake steel?

Postby paulinkansas » Sun May 09, 2021 10:55 am

If I had the KY ballistics program I would compare time of flight of the steel vs TSS at various distances in 5 yard increments. When the time of flight crosses, that's where the TSS overtakes the steel.

continental shooter

Postby continental shooter » Mon May 10, 2021 5:23 am

good shout Paul,

shame i don't have it :cry:

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Thu May 13, 2021 8:47 am

Somewhere around 33 yds, the 9s will overtake the steel 2s..... per KPY at 1300 fps MV

continental shooter

Postby continental shooter » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:35 am

Thanks Al,

been trying to contact BPI to see if they have a downloadable version of the software as I'm not particularly inclined to pay $90-100 to get a DVD shipped over to UK

Unfortunately...no answer from them... :(

Return to “General”