Replacing Steel with TSS???

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

Hunter Trav

Replacing Steel with TSS???

Postby Hunter Trav » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:47 am

Ok so I'm just wanting to clarify what I've been reading here so far about replacing steel shot with TSS. Am I correct that you can replace either some or all steel shot with TSS from a published steel load safely? Knowing of course that doing so will reduce the shot column height and will require some type of filler wad to make up for it?? This is what I've gathered from what I've been reading but I just want to be very clear on this before getting to far along. Thanks!! 8-)

Dave in AZ

Re: Replacing Steel with TSS???

Postby Dave in AZ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:55 pm

Some, not all. An eighth to a quarter oz. Start doing more, certainly all, and pressure drop or change potential pretty much invalidates the basis donor load numbers. Then you'll need a tested recipe for pure tss. Hal has some. Also BPI has published some stupid heavy loads.

Hunter Trav

Postby Hunter Trav » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave. I have gotten some load data from Hal already but for some of them I'm not able to source all of the components unfortunately, so I'm limited by what I have on hand or what I happen to come across. For hulls I mainly have Fiocchi and I have some Federals, but I don't believe they're gold medal hulls. They are once fired Federal Steel shot "Blue Box" which I had used the past few seasons. I have not cut any down but they appear to have a fiber or paper base wad not plastic. I think I also have some Winchester "X-pert" hulls as well, but not sure if they're they same as AA hulls or what exactly they are. Regardless, Hal didn't have much load data for what I've got so I'm hoping to find a recipe for what I've got...

Rottford

Postby Rottford » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 pm

What gauge are you needing reloading components for ?

Hunter Trav

Postby Hunter Trav » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:44 pm

Rottford wrote:What gauge are you needing reloading components for ?

I'm reloading for 12ga. I've been able to source wads that are used in Hal's recipes but most are loaded into hulls I don't have or cannot get locally. Primers are a bit of an issue as well but that seems to be going around everywhere these days...lol

Return to “TSS”