Sandhill Cranes with #9TSS.

Duck and Goose hunting

Moderator: hawglips

UPEgger

Sandhill Cranes with #9TSS.

Postby UPEgger » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:09 am

I was over on the BlaserBuds site and stumbled onto a conversation about Tungsten shot sizes for various game. One of the posters reported that he had been hunting Sand Hill Cranes with 1 3/4oz of #9TSS. Using his 12ga. Ranges were . 40 to 45 yard. Kind of flew in the face of what I understood to be "traditional" TSS shot sizes for Sandhill Crane. #5 or #6 TSS.

I have not shot any Sandhill Cranes but sure would like to. Maybe one day.

Carl L.

Dave in AZ

Re: Sandhill Cranes with #9TSS.

Postby Dave in AZ » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:29 am

He was.relying on head neck shots like a turkey.
Problem with sandhill cranes in Arizona is that they make you get drawn the shoot one in a lottery, and they only give out like 32 a year or so! Also you can only hunt them over in two of the areas near Tucson, not over on the Colorado River near Yuma where they are plentiful. I think you stay at Yuma during the winter?

UPEgger

Postby UPEgger » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:47 pm

Dave; my winter quarters are in Hell Centro (El Centro), 60 miles west of Yuma. I agree he must have been relying on head and neck shots. I have been wanting to do a Sand Hill Crane hunt/shoot for a couple of years now. But, the Mallard population in the Imperial Valley keeps me happy enough.

Carl L.

Greg

Postby Greg » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:58 pm

I shot cranes in Texas this year where it's legal to shoot them with lead, and #5 turkey loads folded them like cheap beach chairs. I was also fortunate enough to draw tags in Alabama where nontoxic shot is required. Here in Bama I shot #7 federal 15gcc which also killed them stone dead. Based on seeing how #5 lead, #7 15gcc, and #9 tss pentrates turkey breasts and breaks bones I'd have no issue shooting them with #9s although I'd use #8 tss if available personally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Waterfowl”