Setback in .410 tss loads

General Chit Chat

Moderator: hawglips

Drj

Setback in .410 tss loads

Postby Drj » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:39 pm

Hey guys,
We did some patterning yesterday with several different brands of tss .410. Unfortunately, with reloading shortage, I’m unable to load due to lack of powder and wads, so we bought some loads. We noticed several spent wads containing 8-17 pellets ‘glued’ into the cup of the wad.
I did a search and found Why it happens, but how do you prevent this if reloading your own shells?
Loads were #9, 9.5, and 9.5x10. Cannot tell which wads belonged to which load!

hawglips

Re: Setback in .410 tss loads

Postby hawglips » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:24 am

Try some micah wad slick on the pellets and the bottom of the shot cup....

oddball

Postby oddball » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:05 pm

has anybody have used mica wad slick as buffer or mixed it in there buffer if so what was the results

bullet225ho

Postby bullet225ho » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:14 am

Did you happen to take a picture of this shot sticking inside of wads?

I've seen it happen to cork under-shot/filler but never heard or seen this in an actual wad.

Interesting.

kculbert2

Postby kculbert2 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:49 pm

I am new to TSS, but I have experienced this when loading steel. There were a couple of contributing factors: (1) Wad fillers and (2) the manner in which wads were slit. I used to experiment, and try to tighten my high-speed steel patterns by leaving wads unslit, or not slitting them very far, and some shot remaining in the bottom of the cup was pretty common. Sometimes, part of the wad filler, especially the cork kind, along with a bit of shot would kind of adhere to the bottom of the cup instead of exiting like it should have. You said these were store bought loads, so that's your first mistake! haha. Stay away from that brand. There is some sort of wad/filler combo going on that isn't working.

My 2 cents

continental shooter

Postby continental shooter » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:33 am

yeah, it happens on hot steel load too; the base of the wad does heat up first when the primer ignite (the flame will initially heat and push up the wad) then when the burning process starts and the gases expand.

At this stage, with the gases pushing up and the pellets weighing in, plus the crim resistance, the pellets tend to recede cutting into the heated up base of the wad. Once the wad is launched, it cools down and the pellets get stuck in it.

I think using a cardboard filler (or a couple), or the suggested Mica wad, at the bottom will help stop this

cheers

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:30 pm

I've had this happen with both cork and felt that I bought from Michael's craft supply stores. The cork and felt from there are pieces that are adhered together with some sort of adhesive or glue, Emma and my guess is that this glue melts under higher pressure and temperature and let's the shot stick to it.

what I do is put a small disk of tyvek or mylar from a chip bag on top of the cork or felt wads and below shot to keep it from sticking.

Return to “General”