TSS Shot trap

General Chit Chat

Moderator: hawglips

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Re: TSS Shot trap

Postby Fishh2o » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:46 am

Im thinking something like this so it can roll up and be put in a golf cart.I can have the top bolted in between angle iron and this would allow me to secure it to the top of the existing pattern board. However, I haven't quite gotten it in my head how i can have a catch on the bottom.

http://www.pondliner.com/p-884-5-x-5-firestone-45-mil-epdm-pond-liner.aspx

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:12 pm

Dave in AZ wrote:OK, this is a good idea!
I'd pattern a lot more TSS if I could recover it!
I'm building one! But I'll modify it so a roll of paper sits on bottom and can be pulled up across the front, over the top, and rolled up on backside.

Don't waste your time with individual sheets of paper, they're a pain in the wind at the range-- just make a big roll of patterns.
You don't even need to count them! Just buy the white paper rolls at HD, 39" and like 250 yards, for $12bucks. Sometimes they're over near the concrete area. Then take good phone pics of each shot before rolling the paper.
When home, load up the pics to computer and go to shotguninsight.com to use the auto-pattern-doofer. It will find the shot holes, count them all up, analyze the hell out of the pattern. It's what toasty and I use.

Dave,

The only thing i found a HD or lowes was rosen paper. Its the same demensions you mention but its red! Haha and the dont carry wall paper anymore.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:24 pm

So after driving around all morning looking for thick enough paper to use i finally got tired of TRAFFIC. I honestly think that the pattern gods have it in for me. I went to Home Depot, Lowes, Michaels arts supply, and Jo Anns art. I couldn't find anything that would work with out spending a ton of money like 60+ dollars for heavy weight white paper. So, here I am at home on amazon and ordered this.

http://www.amazon.com/ArtKraft-Duo-Finish-4-feet-200-feet-67004/dp/B00006IE0U?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Shotgun insight recommends this paper paper at the bottom of the page.

http://www.shotgun-insight.com/LEPA_How.html

Four foot wide is kind of big but I would like to see those fliers especially with the high speed steel I load too. I read some reviews that said it's not "heavy weight" but I will just have to see. If not then I will use a cardboard box for backing.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:01 pm

I used the red rosin paper form HD last time, but there was a white paper of similar thickness over in the concrete section for some reason... maybe it was roofing? Anyways, my local HDs have 3 or 4 different rolls like that, and none of them workers knew crap about them.

The red paper is great if you count holes yourself. If you use the photo counter, white paper would be better with a dark background behind. I should have bought a roll of the white last time I saw it, and I could go out and see what it was called.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:05 am

After seeing shotgun insight im not counting anymore :D

Lost

Postby Lost » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:56 pm

A suggestion: I have put a light source behind the "paper" and while in a dark room just take a picture then you can count them easily or use reverse video for a PC input.

For "paper" I go to the grocery stores, they have pallet liners and also that same liner is used between the layers of veggies. This either comes as heavy craft paper or cardboard. My stores are glad to get rid of it ie it's free....

Now you know a couple more of my secrets....
Lost

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:45 pm

Yeah the art paper that i sent a link for is not strong enough for bounce backs. So im going to need to back it with some card board.

Lost i like the idea of palett liners. I used to tose them when i was a kid working at local grocery store. Im going to go look for them this week.

DrDirtNap

Postby DrDirtNap » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:43 pm

I built one and used 45 ml EPDM fish pond rubber liner. I have 10 layers total and so far nothing has come through all 10 layers. I used a plywood back and not metal. I figured if I used enough rubber to stop the shot the metal back was unnecessary.
I also put wheels on mine to make it easier to move around. When not in use I pull it inside my barn for weather protection.

jsay44

Postby jsay44 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:50 am

This is my trap that I built on a trailer using 8 layers of EPDM roofing backed up with 26ga. galvanized sheet metal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General”