Buffer or not buffer for TSS ?

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

Fabalis

Buffer or not buffer for TSS ?

Postby Fabalis » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:17 am

Hello every body,

In Europe, we don't use buffer for reloading because no supplier for it. Only from time to time cork powder but very difficult to dose and put regular into the shots (static electricity).

For your TSS loads, do you use buffer or not ?

If yes, what is the type you use :

Normally, the ITX should be better for TSS but I guess the Precision Reloading is much easier to use...

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Re: Buffer or not buffer for TSS ?

Postby Fishh2o » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:17 am

I have not used any buffered load as of yet. From my understanding any load calling for buffer you can omit the buffer but if a load does not call for buffer you can not add it.

Maybe some of the more experienced loaders can chime in on this.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:51 pm

No buffer.
Buffer was placed in lead shot loads to support the lead, keep it from deforming especially on high speed loads, and thus improve the pattern. Steel, and of course TSS and HW tungsten mixes, are too hard to be deformed when shot, so they already give outstanding patterns compared to lead.
Buffer in steel shot loads was used to improve the shot "flow" characteristics through the choke... supposedly. So what, why do you care about that? The only possible reason is a MEASURABLE IMPROVEMENT in patterns. I don't believe ANY buffered load with steel or hard shot is better unless someone shows me the duplicate load with buffer, and at LEAST 5 patterns from each, showing a marked improvement.

IMO it's a complete waste of time.
HOWEVER... probably only Hawglips and toasty have done enough load testing of tss to say one way or the other. I don't believe it because there's no science behind it and I've never, ever, seen anyone present any valid proof of improvement. But I haven't tested loads myself to support this opinion with hard data.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:43 pm

In one of my .410 turkey loads, adding buffer actually causes the patterns to deteriorate.

I don't add buffer to any of my waterfowl loads, but most of the turkey loads, I do. I found noticeable improvements early on in the development stage, so have stuck with it for those heavy loads.

bullethead

Postby bullethead » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:29 pm

From what I have found the buffer seems to keep the shot pellets from rebounding off each other. The patterns from buffered loads tend to be more uniform imo.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:07 pm

An interesting finding has been that with a heavy .410 load, it actually patterns tighter with no buffer.

Don't ask me to explain it...

bullethead

Postby bullethead » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:11 pm

That is interesting Hal. Do you use and filler wads in that load or is it all shot?

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:47 am

That one is all shot....

Dtrkyman

Postby Dtrkyman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:17 pm

I wound up getting itx buffer not psb, are they compatible?

thanks

Return to “TSS”