20ga 3/4oz 20ga

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

Fishh2o
Site Admin

20ga 3/4oz 20ga

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:51 pm

Guys I'm having problems sourcing the fed 20ga once fired hulls. Do you guys know if anyone has developed any 20gs 3/4 oz loads using new hulls?

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Re: 20ga 3/4oz

Postby Fishh2o » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:42 pm

Are these the same as the GM hulls? Doing a little research it seems to be the same spun paper base wad.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Federal-20ga-2-3_4-new_primed-hull-100_bag/productinfo/0622070/

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Re: 20ga 3/4oz 20ga

Postby Fishh2o » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:49 am

Okay so these are not the same hull. I wish we had a place that listed all the current hulls today with cut aways. Im going to stat picking up hulls from the clay range here and try to build a database of them. I usually only pick up the hulls I use.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Fishh2o wrote:Guys I'm having problems sourcing the fed 20ga once fired hulls. Do you guys know if anyone has developed any 20gs 3/4 oz loads using new hulls?

Are these the same as the GM hulls? Doing a little research it seems to be the same spun paper base wad.

Sorry, meant to reply to this the other day but tablet locked up.
Fed 20ga are the easiest hull to acquire, probably over every other 20ga hull. They are the absolute cheapest-- you can buy a flat right NOW, today, from Cabelas for $49, and like $5 shipping, there's a thread on 16ga.com and also DHC on it.

Federal GM or Gold Medal hulls are ONLY in 12ga, and they are a unibody style hull-- straight walls but go down to a molded in basewad, all the same piece. Most volume of any 12ga 2.75" probably, which is all they come in. They also make a paper hull version, that's NOT what folks mean when they talk about GM hulls.

All Federal hulls in 20ga have a "Fiber Basewad" or FB in BPI manuals (PB means Plastic Basewad and refers to a rare buckshot case in Federal).

The following BPI loads are 3/4oz ITX13 or HW loads in 2.75" 20ga, and you should be able to load TSS in them instead if desired.
Load#.....Ref#...---------------hull-------Primer----powder
150817 7060 20 2.75 Cheddite Ch209 LilGun
120620 4022-6,4 20 2.75 Federal FB Fed209A Longshot
110711 3218-6 20 2.75 Cheddite Ch209 800x
120620 4021-6,4 20 2.75 Federal FB Fed209A 800x

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:18 pm

Fishh2o wrote:Okay so these are not the same hull. I wish we had a place that listed all the current hulls today with cut aways. Im going to stat picking up hulls from the clay range here and try to build a database of them. I usually only pick up the hulls I use.

There are many pictures on DHC and SGW of hull cutaways, if you search for "cutaway" or "cross section".
DHC has a 3" 12ga sticky at the top of the reloading forum showing a ton of those.
I've personally posted 10 or so 20ga hulls cut away, here and there. I know for sure I just posted pics of Herters, Rio, Suprema on both SGW and DHC; and in the past on SGW I've posted Win universal 20ga Tgt shells and Rem GC. That just leaves Fiocchi, NobleSport, Kent(cheddite) in 20ga, all of which I've seen here and there.

Good project-- make a thread with links to those pics. Give attribution to the poster and source, sometimes guys get prickly about that after they do the work, despite everything you post on the internet being automatically in the public domain. I'll probably do this later today, since I've got most of the pics already uploaded in my "gallery" at one site or another.

Also I've got a few threads with volume tests for 28ga and 20ga hulls. I don't know that a TSS forum is the best place to put a hull thread but... ;)

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:33 pm

Fed 20ga are the easiest hull to acquire, probably over every other 20ga hull.

Dave thanks for the reply.. The Fed 2 3/4 new hulls are the same as the Fed once fired hulls? The reason I asked is I called BP and they said the new hulls have a smaller base wad. I know its the same paper base wad but they claim the new hulls have more internal volume.

I have been looking at the other loads for ITX, HS, and HW but I wanted to use the load Hal provided to pattern first.

Thanks Again!

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:24 am

BPI did advertise that the 3" 20ga "New" i.e. unloaded Fed hulls had the most volume of any 3" they'd ever seen, so I bought some-- loading steel, volume is good. My only worry now is too much volume and not achieving pressure/speeds expected!

I suppose it's possible the hulls they get from Fed and sell as "New" have thinner fiber basewads... maybe they're saving $ on the wad! However, all the data in every source stating 20ga Fed 2.75" is talking about fired hulls, which again you can buy a box for $5 and shoot it at the range, or just go pick them up. If for some reason you get a hull with a thinner basewad, say the new ones BPI is selling (if in fact they are thinner, which I'm not sure I believe until I cut some and measure...), then the greater internal volume just acts as a safety buffer.

I have 16 loads from Hal, and only one of them mentions "new hull", it is a Fed 2.75" 20 with 7/8oz TSS loading. When I asked him about it, he just said he used new hulls for the load and so that's what he listed as the hull parameter. He may chime in, but when I questioned him on this to be sure about it when loading, he gave me to understand once fired were fine for that.

I re-read your OP to be sure I wasn't confused. So to answer your original question, if you use "new hulls" and the in fact do have thinner basewads, then just use the published "once fired" recipes-- the greater volume just makes you safer. And again, just grab these by the zillion from the ground at any range for once fired, or shoot a few rounds of skeet yourself with some ;)

Went to Cabelas today to buy a flat of them, sale ended yesterday and they were sold out. Bought some Fiocchi instead for $69 a flat, and some of those new Rem American Clays and Field for $74, just cuz they're STS/GC style hulls but with a cool see-thru yellow ;)

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:05 am

Thanks Dave. I haven't reloaded 20ga rounds in over 20 years and back then it was all lead. My dad and I had an unlimited supply of 20ga AA hulls from a ranch in South Texas we managed for an oil company so thats all we loaded.

Return to “TSS”