most expensive round of sporting clays ever

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

hawglips

most expensive round of sporting clays ever

Postby hawglips » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:52 am

I loaded a box of 28 ga, 3/4 oz shells loaded with TSS #12s, to see how they performed for me on a round of sporting clays. I had a box of lead 8-1/2s that I used for comparison purposes. I was shooting them through a Franchi 48-AL with the factory flush mount Improved Cylinder choke.

A couple of things stood out. First, the clays that I broke with the TSS 12s seemed to be completely pulverized. Especially the closer shots - it seemed like they just disintegrated into thin air. Second, I didn't really see any noticeable difference in how many longer shots I broke or missed.

All in all, I don't think the 12s gave any real advantage. But I will probably test it some more, and likely will try some 11s also....

derbyacresbob

Re: most expensive round of sporting clays ever

Postby derbyacresbob » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:31 pm

I think you can beat that most expensive round record hawglips!

I bet that 1 oz of TSS #8 shot would work great on the Sporting Clays rabbit targets out of your 28 ga. LOL

Steve390Gold

Re: most expensive round of sporting clays ever

Postby Steve390Gold » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:57 pm

I wish we could use something smaller than #9s in registered NSCA competitions, but unfortunately, they have specified only US #9, #8.5, #8, and #7.5 as legal....but shooting for fun it wont matter. :D

Got any NSCA "friendly" 12ga loads? The NSCA specifies the above shot sizes and max payload is 1-1/8oz, but fail to state if that "oz" is "FL OZ" or "WT OZ." The former would give a tremendous pellet count advantage to the TSS, the latter would still give an advantage to TSS, just not quite as much. (Ill have to bend the ear of a few advisory council guys to get a clarification....lol)

Return to “TSS”