10 gauge recipe

General data and information handloading data

Moderator: hawglips

Ironhead74

10 gauge recipe

Postby Ironhead74 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:07 am

I've been considering working up a load for my 10 that would be multi purpose for ducks and geese and would like your thoughts and opinions. To start with it would be based off a 1.5 oz Rem hull recipe I was given from a member on DHC. I chose the Rem hull over a Fed because I don't like the idea of using paper base wads around water since I imagine water would destroy the base wad making them a shoot and pitch hull. I have never had any Ched hulls nor have I seen too many recipes for them to make me want to buy some but they are my go to hull for my 12. I'm tired of trying to remember what I have loaded up lol. What I am considering is:

1/4 oz TSS
5/8 oz of 3's
5/8 oz of B's

That gives me
75 TSS pellets (I have 8.5's)
96 3's
55 B's
226 total pellets

My thought process is using a lead IC/steel mod choke the 3's and B's will be a good pattern for decoying shots but when the 3's die out the tss should be opening up to fill the pattern with the B's for the edge of decoys or pass shooting. This time of year is truly a mixed bag as I may shoot anything from a teal to mallard in the same day and depending on where I go may have pass shots on some lesser and greater canadians. I know I don't need a 10 especially with tss but I really love shooting it! Also if you have a Ched recipe for the 10 that you like or know where data can be got please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
IH

hawglips

Re: 10 gauge recipe

Postby hawglips » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:33 am

A rule of thumb is that you can typically use a hard shot recipe and switch in TSS safely. There will be extra room inside the wad to fill, so how to fill that is first question. Typically, some sort of loose, fluffy material on top works well.

Second question is how to stack the shot. TSS on bottom tends to disrupt the pattern more as the TSS pushes through downrange, and TSS on top tends to produce a tighter pattern. So, you'll have to see how it shoots and what is going to work better for your uses.

TSS x steel duplexes can work very well. I like to think of it as "spiking" a favorite steel load as a way to significantly increase the performance of it without breaking the bank.

Ironhead74

Re: 10 gauge recipe

Postby Ironhead74 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:26 am

Hawglips,
I had to add an 1/8" felt under this recipe when I load it with 1's so figured I would have to add another 1/8 or maybe even a 1/4. I haven't thought about where to stack in the tss but guess a patterning board will tell that story if I get to that point. I guess I didn't realize from our emails that to sub tss into a recipe it needed to be a hard shot recipe so may have to scrap this idea. On a side note I will say on our duck opener I was very satisfied shooting the spiked 28 ga recipe you supplied to me and last weekend I shot my first banded goose with one of your 12 ga recipes!

Thanks again,
Bryan

Return to “General and Beginners Information”