Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: hawglips

jsully

Postby jsully » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:11 am

Hello all,
I am jsully. I live and hunt in northeast Arkansas. I primarily hunt Mallards. I have been looking at the new Hevi X ammo and saw where it is only 9g/cc. That turned my search in this direction. I have never reloaded any waterfowl ammo but I have loaded tons of dove loads years ago when I lived in Alabama. I am curious as to how well the duplex loads tend to perform at 25-40yd ranges. I also am curious as to the price of TSS obviously I know it is higher than steel hence the question about duplex loads.

james.moffat1

Re: New Member

Postby james.moffat1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:06 pm

Hello Jsully,

I'm new this spring to loading TSS duplex loads but I'm pleased with patterns, tighter than straight steel. I'm getting over 90 pct 40 yard patterns in a 30 inch circle with 2 3/4 inch 7/8 oz BBB steel under 1/4 oz 7.5 TSS for geese. I have also loaded duck loads with steel 2's and 9 TSS but have not patterned yet.

Hal's 2 3/4 inch 7/8 oz steel with 1/4 oz TSS pattern better than the 3 inch 7/8 oz steel with 3/8 oz TSS in my gun/choke combos. I have been using skeet, and light modified tubes with negligible difference in pattern between tubes on goose loads.

James

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Personally speaking, if your shots are between 25 - 40 yards, TSS is overkill. Most of my shots in Kansas are 35+ yards.

geenhead

Postby geenhead » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:07 pm

I'm new here too. Coming from Georgia we get mostly woodies. Going with a friend to Miss this fall. Need suggestions for good light recoiling 20 ga. for decoy and pass shooting mallards. Have had neck surgery and shoulder problems so trying a 20 this year in a Mossberg sa-20 for starters.

Return to “Introductions”