#10 - 1.8 mm ! Who try this ?

Duck and Goose hunting

Moderator: hawglips

Fabalis

#10 - 1.8 mm ! Who try this ?

Postby Fabalis » Thu May 25, 2017 8:14 am

Hi everybody,

I'm interested to buy some #10 TSS (1.8 mm). Upon my database, the 1.5" penetration should be achieved at 45 m with a 1250 fps speed. With 18 pellets per gram, a 3/4 oz will contain around 380 balls...

Does anybody test that ?

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Re: #10 - 1.8 mm ! Who try this ?

Postby Fishh2o » Thu May 25, 2017 10:13 am

Fabalis,

Yes sir Hal has been testing and using it. I believe he has some in stock.. Check here and email/pm him.

https://www.tungstensupershots.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=60

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Fabalis

Postby Fabalis » Thu May 25, 2017 12:15 pm

I'm in Europe and so I don't want to buy TSS to Hal... I have already test and use #5, 7, 8 and 9 and I'm sure that TSS is THE shot I need for waterfowl, here in France.

My question was to know the efficiency of the #10 for small ducks for example or snipes... before to buy 5 kg in China !

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Tue May 30, 2017 10:51 am

Fabalis wrote:I'm in Europe and so I don't want to buy TSS to Hal... I have already test and use #5, 7, 8 and 9 and I'm sure that TSS is THE shot I need for waterfowl, here in France.

My question was to know the efficiency of the #10 for small ducks for example or snipes... before to buy 5 kg in China !

10s do very will with small ducks and crows, as well as turkeys. They may be larger than optimal for birds as small as snipes.

Fabalis

Postby Fabalis » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Thank you Hal...

In fact, I have done a software to calculate the efficiency of the TSS and other types of pellet and the result I found for the #10 are very interesting. It could be compare as lead shot N° 6 1/5 or 7 which is a very good load for small ducks like teal or shovelers till 60 yards or even larger till 45 yards.

And the number of pellet is so huge, 182 for 10 grammes, that the density of the pattern should be very very high.

It will be perfect for the wading birds hunting we have in France at the sea cost. Even for duck hunting, it will perfect for my right shot (side by side).

First test in August !

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:06 am

Fabalis, I'm interested in hearing your results!
Even more, I'm interested in hearing more about your style of hunting with live decoys. You posted a great video last year. Since then I have just finished reading a great book of stories on old time duck hunting by Gordon McQuarrie called "Last Tales of the Old Duck Hunters", purchased on Amazon Kindle.
These stories of duck hunting take place in the US on the northern border near Canada, around 1930 or so, and they are always using two live hen decoys--this was before live decoys were disallowed here. So very interesting and reminded me of you.

Sorry, not anything about #10 tss, but hoping you see this here and will end up posting some more about your hunts.
All the best,
Dave

Fabalis

Postby Fabalis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:17 am

Hi Dave,

There is a lot of things to write on the way we hunt the ducks in France. It's a very old tradition here and we are the only country doing like this.

But a video is better than a lot of explanation.

Here is some links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBExeCzV6sM

You can see how we hunt during the night with live ducks like Wingeons, Mallard, Teals, pintails...

It's very special because we have to make some shifts in order to have somebody who have a look on the lake. Very special but very addictive !

Return to “Waterfowl”