28 ga. load at 40 yards

Post your 28 Gauge pattern results.

Moderator: hawglips

Peacore

28 ga. load at 40 yards

Postby Peacore » Wed May 24, 2017 10:31 pm

I recently purchased some #8 TSS from Hal and I'm using his load recipe for the 13/16 oz. load in my 28 ga. Weatherby SA-08.
I''m shooting from 40 yards and off a bench rest and using a lead sled.
I started out with the 3/4 oz.load and a skeet choke, the pattern was poor but I only shot one.
I immediately switched to a cylinder choke and got a 79% pattern for the next shot.
I wanted a denser pattern so I changed to the 13/16 oz. amount of shot. My next pattern was 95% and the following one was 91%. I counted the number of pellets in my 13/16 oz. load and got 247 pellets.
I'm testing to have a duck/geese load for this fall. Hal assures me that #8 shot is what I need for these birds at decoying ranges, I'll try the shots at longer range also.

Today I took the Weatherby to the skeet range and continued testing the gun for reliability as I had a few FTF the first time out but quickly the problem went away. Today I shot two rounds of skeet with NO problems of any kind from the gun. I was shooting Fiocchi hunting loads of #9 lead shot. When I have shot Hal's load with TSS there have been no FTF at any time.

I am a FFL dealer/gunsmith. It's has been hard for me to believe that a Weatherby SA-08 from Turkey can compete with the Beretta A400 28 ga. (my son's gun )but it seems that it can and at half the price. The Weatherby comes with a rather heavy trigger pull (lawyer trigger) but it is easily fixed and it might not bother most shooters because it's not horrible.

Hal has been very helpful as I do my own testing! Thanks very much Hal.

Ernie In Vermont

Dave in AZ

Re: 28 ga. load at 40 yards

Postby Dave in AZ » Wed May 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Great testing and thanks for the results! This is perfect for me as I also have an SA-08, and hadn't tested any patterns with TSS in it.

phillip.imamura

Postby phillip.imamura » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:21 pm

Looking forward to pattern the 7.5 TSS I received last week. I ordered up a Briley light skeet choke to test in my 28 gauge 870. With waterfowl season only a few weeks away, I can’t wait to put the 28 on the line.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:15 am

Looking forward to hear how it performs!

Return to “28 Gauge”