Rifle Choice

General Chit Chat

Moderator: hawglips

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Rifle Choice

Postby Fishh2o » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 am

I'm curious what you guys out west are using for mule deer and elk? I have shot a 270 pretty much my whole life for white tails in South Texas. Going to be moving soon out in Elk country and I' just thinking of options or like my girl says I'm thinking of a way to spend more money ;-) ..

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

james.moffat

Re: Rifle Choice

Postby james.moffat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:38 pm

FishH20,

Your .270 is a great, flat shooting rifle and with the right bullets, Barnes X, Trophy Bonded, etc., would serve well for elk. My two favorite rifles are .270 and .300 win. mag. I have owned both since the early 90's. Here's what you might find interesting about the .270 vs .300 win. mag. If you look at the ballistic charts, a .270 with a 140 grain bullet has almost identical bullet drop as a 180 grain .300 win mag out to 500 yards (an inch or two difference at most). In the .300, you can carry 2,000 ft/lbs of energy to around 500 yards. Recoil never has been an issue for me and on good days, with the right handloads, both will shoot under an inch at 100 yards. Both are Browning A Bolt II's.

There are host of faster, flatter shooting rounds out there. None match your trusty .270, almost identically, like the .300 win mag. What I'm driving at here, is taking out variables in switching from your deer rifle to an elk rifle. You could sight both in the exact same, and not have to worry about adjusting for drop differently from one rifle to the other.

Good luck with your decision and choice = a good problem to have :)

James

jars

Postby jars » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:55 pm

Very good advice from James. Both the 270 and the 300 Win Mag will serve you well. Obviously the 300 Win Mag may perform a bit better on a big elk (bullet placement trumps everything), the only advice I might offer is to look at a really tough bullet design like the Barnes for your 270, so if that happens to be what you have in your hand while hunting mulies, and a elk shows up, just take a little more care with where you put that bullet and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:44 pm

jars wrote:Very good advice from James. Both the 270 and the 300 Win Mag will serve you well. Obviously the 300 Win Mag may perform a bit better on a big elk (bullet placement trumps everything), the only advice I might offer is to look at a really tough bullet design like the Barnes for your 270, so if that happens to be what you have in your hand while hunting mulies, and a elk shows up, just take a little more care with where you put that bullet and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Thanks Jars!!! You have some good points I. I have never loaded rifle cartridges before so this will be something new for me. Im sure i will have another post asking for suggestions! BTW welcome to the forum.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Return to “General”