Duck hunter from Vermont

Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: hawglips

Peacore

Duck hunter from Vermont

Postby Peacore » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:55 pm

A friend who has been hunting ducks for 50 years told me about this product. I do a lot of handlaoding for both of us so figured I'd better learn more about TSS.

We hunt a great deal on Lake Champlain that lies between VT and NY. The hunting can only be described as fair the last few years. The weather is too warm to bring the ducks down from Canada until December and many times the bays are frozen so we can't put a boat in. We do see a lot of Canada geese.

I'm 78 years old and recoil has become an issue for me. TSS sounds like a dream for me, especially in a 20 gauge.
I'm also a FFL dealer/gunsmith and we love to experiment, plus we do a LOT of pattern work in the summer.

Last year I tried ITX 13 #4, it works good but 1 oz. doesn't fill the pattern out very good, especially for teal.

Looking forward to learning from those of you on this site.

Ernie

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Re: Duck hunter from Vermont

Postby Fishh2o » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:02 am

Peacore wrote:A friend who has been hunting ducks for 50 years told me about this product. I do a lot of handlaoding for both of us so figured I'd better learn more about TSS.

We hunt a great deal on Lake Champlain that lies between VT and NY. The hunting can only be described as fair the last few years. The weather is too warm to bring the ducks down from Canada until December and many times the bays are frozen so we can't put a boat in. We do see a lot of Canada geese.

I'm 78 years old and recoil has become an issue for me. TSS sounds like a dream for me, especially in a 20 gauge.
I'm also a FFL dealer/gunsmith and we love to experiment, plus we do a LOT of pattern work in the summer.

Last year I tried ITX 13 #4, it works good but 1 oz. doesn't fill the pattern out very good, especially for teal.

Looking forward to learning from those of you on this site.

Ernie

Good to have you on board! Last year I was shooting 9.5s at teal.I was shooting a 20ga LT 20 with a3/4oz load. I couldn't get consistent results out of factory chokes. I ordered some Briley's for it but haven't gotten a chance to get out and patter them.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Peacore

Postby Peacore » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi fishh2o

If shipments of all components come in on time I'll start loading TSS by mid May.

I bought a Weatheby SA-08 in 28 gauge last week. I shot skeet with it this past Sunday and the gun is just great with factory loads of #9.

I also ordered IC and SKT Beretta mobile chokes that fit the gun. I'm going to start with loads in the 28 gauge.

I have a range on my place so it's easy to test. I'll post the results after I have done some testing.

Last year I tested and used 12 gauge 1 oz. loads of #4 ITX 13. They worked great but the pattern is too thin for teal.
However big ducks and geese were taken down easily. The recoil was OK in an O/U. I hope I can make a 28 gauge load to cover all of my needs with even less recoil.

Ernie

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Mon May 15, 2017 1:17 pm

I love them in my 20Ga but it took a lot of pattern work. I finally found a good choke.. The factory :-)

I then purchased my 28ga and i love it. I have a SXS and that little thing has some recoil.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Return to “Introductions”