9x9.5 duplex for turkey?

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

Dtrkyman

9x9.5 duplex for turkey?

Postby Dtrkyman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Anyone run a duplex 9x9.5? just curious I have some 9.5s on the way and a friend has some 9s so why not? was thinking an ounce of 9 and 5/8 of 9.5, 9s on bottom?

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Re: 9x9.5 duplex for turkey?

Postby Fishh2o » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:37 am

I have not duplex any TSS loads myself but I'm pretty sure I have read that some are.. I just don't remember where it was. today around lunch I will poke around and see oi I can pull it up somewhere.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

turkeyinstrut

Postby turkeyinstrut » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Dtrkyman wrote:Anyone run a duplex 9x9.5? just curious I have some 9.5s on the way and a friend has some 9s so why not? was thinking an ounce of 9 and 5/8 of 9.5, 9s on bottom?

Don't you want the lighter shot on the bottom?

Dtrkyman

Postby Dtrkyman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:31 pm

Not sure...that's why I ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:35 pm

Since I have not duplexed TSS only Steel X TSS i can not answer that with 100% accuracy. However, I have done some testing on having TSS on top or on bottom of steel. Personally I had the best results with the TSS on the bottom of the load. I was building my loads for increased rang of lethal pellets. Since the Steel will fire at the same speed as the TSS at first but being lighter it will start to slow quicker. Thus in the first 20-25 yards (guessing) you had a pattern of both shot. Now, as the steel starts to slow it drops in altitude also. In my opinion the steel is mostly out of the way and the TSS travels on. We might have a couple pellets hit each other but I just don't see it being enough to blow out the pattern..

So if your sticking with the same theory the 9.5's are lighter.

Hopefully someone that has duplexes of TSS can chime in here.

james.moffat

Postby james.moffat » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:34 pm

Hello Dtrkyman ,

I'm certainly no expert and haven't duplexed TSS. I have duplexed TSS/Steel and what I noticed with TSS/Steel, is that putting the TSS on bottom, provided really even patterns with the TSS/Steel combo and helped spread the steel a little faster on waterfowl loads at 20-25 yards while still having dense, even TSS patterns at 40.

Regarding your question, it all depends on what you want out of the shell and pattern. With the size shot you are loading, you will have plenty of pellets, even in sub gauges. What I have read on other forums is that for turkey loads (tight patterning loads) most people would want the heavier, #9, shot on top. Theory being they will retain velocity longer than the lighter, 9.5 pellets. Your risk here would very tight patterns under 20-25 yards.

If you put the heavier 9 pellets on bottom, and lighter 9.5's on top, the 9's in theory, should work their way through the 9.5's, opening up the pattern in close, and also have a wider pattern at 40 yards and beyond.

I think the answer lies in patterning a few shells both ways, and seeing which you prefer. I know it's not the cheapest answer but it would put the question to bed if you can't find someone who has performed this with patterns and proof. I'll dig around other forums this weekend and see if I can find anything on this and if I do, I'll include a link.

I'm very interested in this topic as well and I'd like to test in the next 1-2 weeks for turkey loads. I'll share what I find if I get shot in time for the test prior to our opener. Please share any findings you come across as well.

Thanks,
James

james.moffat

Postby james.moffat » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:04 pm

Dtrkyman,

Here's a link that gives answers to our question from some of the same folks who are in this forum.

https://www.gobblernation.com/phpBB3/vi ... 18&t=12756

Hope this helps.

James

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:35 am

James,

Thank you for finding that post! I was looking for that post when I was trying to answer... Also, very informative answer and I learned a little. Like you say pattern pattern pattern its the only way.

james.moffat

Postby james.moffat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:51 am

Fishh20,

You are welcome but I was just trying to pay it back on behalf of some good, helpful people. I'm just tickled to be here reading and learning from guys like you, Hawglips, Toasty, Dave in AZ, several others, and loading the best, most effective loads available. Thanks guys for all YOUR hard work and time spent with the forum, loads developed, advice offered, mentoring, helpfulness, and etc. Priceless.

Dave in AZ, I have noticed quite a few neophytes like myself, and ran across one of your articles on the web: "Range Comparrison: Steel, ITX, HeviShot, HW13, and TSS". I found this after loading my first batch of duplex waterfowl loads. Had I read this before I loaded, it would have helped my "lead/steel shot sized mind" select a better TSS size for the load I was producing... 1 size smaller of course :). I didn't want to just cut and drag, or post your copyrighted work here, but I was wondering if you would post for the community? It gives excellent penetration data on different shot type and comparison for a new person to get their head right on TSS. TSS is a mind bender.

Thanks,
James

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:26 am

james.moffat wrote:Fishh20,

You are welcome but I was just trying to pay it back on behalf of some good, helpful people. I'm just tickled to be here reading and learning from guys like you, Hawglips, Toasty, Dave in AZ, several others, and loading the best, most effective loads available. Thanks guys for all YOUR hard work and time spent with the forum, loads developed, advice offered, mentoring, helpfulness, and etc. Priceless.

Dave in AZ, I have noticed quite a few neophytes like myself, and ran across one of your articles on the web: "Range Comparrison: Steel, ITX, HeviShot, HW13, and TSS". I found this after loading my first batch of duplex waterfowl loads. Had I read this before I loaded, it would have helped my "lead/steel shot sized mind" select a better TSS size for the load I was producing... 1 size smaller of course :). I didn't want to just cut and drag, or post your copyrighted work here, but I was wondering if you would post for the community? It gives excellent penetration data on different shot type and comparison for a new person to get their head right on TSS. TSS is a mind bender.

Thanks,
James

Take a look at the links up top.... its at the end of the breadcrumbs after TSS under the wetlands....

links.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “TSS”