Roll Crimp

A place to talk about reloading and handloading equipment.

Moderator: hawglips

chobrown

Roll Crimp

Postby chobrown » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Is the the roll crimp that is supposedly the scam?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Re: Roll Crimp

Postby Fishh2o » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:56 pm

Im not sure.. I use the GAEP OTC for my roll crimping. Maybe someone else can chime in and let you know.

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

chobrown

Postby chobrown » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:03 pm

Yea that is what I shoulda went with to begin with. I actually bought a BPI Exacta-roll (for my 12ga stuff) before I bought this one the other day, the only reason I did was because they already was ripping me on shipping and instead of going somewhere else and paying shipping and the cost of another roll crimp I just bought that one.

Lost

Postby Lost » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:54 pm

Actually the B&W pic shows one of the old original roll crimping tools similar to those that I had and used for paper cases. The next pics are the GAEP RTO for Roll Turn Over plastic or paper and the GAEP hull vise that works for 410 to 10 ga and maybe even 8 ga I haven't tried it in mine yet LOL.
Lost
Last edited by Lost on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost

Postby Lost » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:47 am

chobrown wrote:Yea that is what I shoulda went with to begin with. I actually bought a BPI Exacta-roll (for my 12ga stuff) before I bought this one the other day, the only reason I did was because they already was ripping me on shipping and instead of going somewhere else and paying shipping and the cost of another roll crimp I just bought that one.

Chobrown the OPT tool you are using is for RTP crimps using an plastic hull and crimp. There are also Gaep tools that are used for crimping the segmented type closures, BN series, are available in different depths and are governed generally by the powder you use. Solway Gunner is the source for all my Gaep tools and will recommend your best tool for your particular component combinations. For years there was only one style GAEP tool available for the 10 ga but I understand that Kevin (Solway Gunner) was instrumental in GAEP producing the BN series in 10 Ga. The Gaep hull vise is a real joy to use too, one piece for all gauges and no moving parts to adjust etc.

Lost
Last edited by Lost on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost

Postby Lost » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:15 am

chobrown

Postby chobrown » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:55 am

So if I just want a GAEP roll crimper to put in the drill press do I need to order the OTP style from Gaepreloading.com?

Lost

Postby Lost » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:50 am

chobrown wrote:So if I just want a GAEP roll crimper to put in the drill press do I need to order the OTP style from Gaepreloading.com?

My suggestion would be to send Solway Gunner an email, ask him for his recommendation for the components you are using. The BN series are I think designed for target ammo but if what you are presently using works for you then stay with it. Solway will tell you your best tool for the application you have in mind.
Lost

Return to “Handloading supplies”