First duplex load

Post your 12 Gauge pattern results.

Moderator: hawglips

jim-22

First duplex load

Postby jim-22 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Planning ahead for ducks, I loaded my first ever steel shot in a duplex load. Most of my shots are at large ducks at long range. My chosen load was 12 gauge 2 3/4 hull with 1/4 oz of no. 8 TSS under 7/8 oz of B steel. My pellet calculation was 77 steel and 64 TSS for a total of 141. I put all the pellets (145 counted) on a 34 x 34 inch cardboard with all pellets inside a 30 inch circle at 40 yd. The gun was a Belgian Browning Auto 5 with fixed full-choke 28 inch barrel. The pattern is very nice. Sorry, some of the TSS holes are hard to see in the photo. The pattern is very uniform with both the B and TSS spread out relatively uniformly. I killed the paper duck a few times over according to the Roster chart. (Thanks also to Dave-in-AZ for his posts which helped me a lot to select my load.) But then 40 yd is a close shot. I may have to shoot out a bit further. Or use it on a goose.
PS Conventional wisdom together with a "cover your ass" warning from Browning is never to shoot steel in a Belgian barrel. Ever. And don't shoot large steel shot in any barrel with a full choke. Physics says steel shot does not kill barrels, pressure does. My steel load before the TSS substitution is specked at 1330 fps/9300 PSI, and I rolled the crimp instead of folding.

56E33C01-E438-44F7-9914-72F447868CFE.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

james.moffat

Re: First duplex load

Postby james.moffat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:21 am

Hello Jim,

That's a very nice pattern for long range loads. I loaded some 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch BBB STEEL X 7 TSS and shot last weekend thru a skeet and skeet II choke. They weren't as dense as your pattern but fewer pellets. I loaded mine for long range snow geese. The steel spread more than the TSS in the pattern and a few of the steel spread beyond the paper at 40 yards. All TSS was present on paper. Our snows have moved on so I haven't had a chance to use them on game. I did have some space issue with the shell loading BBBsteel. Did you encounter the same with B steel X TSS?

Thanks,
James

jim-22

Postby jim-22 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:49 am

James-
My starting point was from the Lyman catalog 5th edition and I used a new Fiocchi hull. I wanted to roll crimp and I really don't like the hull sticking up more than 1/8 inch to get a tight pack so I added a 1/8 felt on top. But the B will pack better than the larger BBB so I take it you were short on space in spite of the TSS being more dense since just a small amount is used. Also the Fiocchi's are big hulls. I may try your BBB+7 in case I get to shoot the snow's next year.
Jim
PS My goal was to beat commercial Blindside 2 3/4 inch which is 1 1/4 oz of no. 2, 152 pellets which also gives a decent pattern. I have almost the same pellet count with way more killing power at slightly more cost.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:42 am

Looks pretty dang good. I have 3 loads made up i need to go pattern.Being in Florida right now its had to find a place to pattern. So im bringing 3 to 5 loads for turkey in April to the ranch in New Mexico to pattern then hunt :D

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

jim-22

Postby jim-22 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:39 pm

My (limited) experience is that all of the Hal recipes of pure TSS shot very well when I found the choke that matched each load. And there where some surprises in that some loads liked to be choked more and not others.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:16 pm

Jim,

Thats awesome that you have put that much work into it. I also like that you are sharing results to help promote TSS. I know we cannot post the loads that we get from Hal but it would be interesting if we could lay that data out someway. Anyway, back to working on the board. This is kind of gotten out of hand and this last upgrade is a killer.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:58 pm

In my spreadsheets, I have labeled all the loads I got from Hal with a load ID, just like BPI and RSI does, such as "HAL-28-1" (Hal's 28ga #1). Of course it's just for my own use, but it's a good idea for Hal-- it would be nice if he would pick a labeling convention, and then use it when distributing his data. The advantage to him would be that folks interested COULD discuss his loads without exposing the proprietary data part, preserving his saleable info, while still increasing discussion and market.

In this example, it would be awesome if Jim-22 was able to post pictures of the patterns, and put "Hal-28-4, 40 yards, 28ga Wby SA-08, factory Mod" kind of thing. The pattern testing is so critical with all this, but so expensive, that the lack of posted data surely inhibits many folks from trying TSS who don't want to have to spend $100 in shells for a few good combos.

I should probably post this somewhere else as a suggestion to Hal, but hopefully he'll see this.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:38 am

Dave in AZ wrote:In my spreadsheets, I have labeled all the loads I got from Hal with a load ID, just like BPI and RSI does, such as "HAL-28-1" (Hal's 28ga #1). Of course it's just for my own use, but it's a good idea for Hal-- it would be nice if he would pick a labeling convention, and then use it when distributing his data. The advantage to him would be that folks interested COULD discuss his loads without exposing the proprietary data part, preserving his saleable info, while still increasing discussion and market.

In this example, it would be awesome if Jim-22 was able to post pictures of the patterns, and put "Hal-28-4, 40 yards, 28ga Wby SA-08, factory Mod" kind of thing. The pattern testing is so critical with all this, but so expensive, that the lack of posted data surely inhibits many folks from trying TSS who don't want to have to spend $100 in shells for a few good combos.

I should probably post this somewhere else as a suggestion to Hal, but hopefully he'll see this.

Agreed and I still want that workbook ;-)

jim-22

Postby jim-22 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:09 am

I would like to revive this thread, to try and get a standard labeling for the confidential loads, and have some system for adding new loads. I find JMs recent results to be very interesting. I have pressure tested quite a few in my quest to get a high speed (1400+ fps) 1 1/4 oz TSS/steel duplex load. After hunting large geese this past winter, I have decided to go with a 1 1/8 oz load that comes in at around 1460 fps. There is plenty of shot there using 8/B, with room to go bigger in shot size and also down to a 1 oz payload to get even more speed. Speed kills when it comes to large ducks and steel.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:09 pm

That load sounds good have you pressure tested or pattern any yet?

Return to “12 Gauge”