small bores, #9s, and big geese

Duck and Goose hunting

Moderator: hawglips

small bores, #9s, and big geese

Postby hawglips » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:18 am

Here's a report I got yesterday from a buddy who is shooting #9s at geese in the 28 ga. This was a 3/4 oz load going 1350 fps MV.

Killed a ton of geese over the years but today I shot my first triple. Did it with my A400 28ga shooting the TSS 9's. They kept fallin so I kept shooting. Haha. Pics are of the first goose. I'm blown away by the TSS shot. Shot was 25 yds goose was basically broadside (Flying). First pic is entrance side:

Second pic is off side. There was 14 pellets that penetrated feathers, 2 1/2" thick breast, body cavity and another 2 1/2" of breast meat. You can see some of the pellets in the pic.
I just wish I'd been born rich instead of good looking because that would be all I shoot 12, 20 or the 28. Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but dang this stuff is unreal!!

Site Admin

Re: small bores, #9s, and big geese

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Very nice! I wish I had a couple Snow's or Specks to eat.. I grew up in Katy Texas working in rices fields and we would have great hunts. Now its pretty much Houston all concrete the geese are now stooping about 40 miles west of of Katy.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Return to “Waterfowl”