Speed kills

Post your 410 Gauge pattern results.

Moderator: hawglips

BuddyWhitetail

Speed kills

Postby BuddyWhitetail » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:32 am

Hi everyone! I have been looking around in some manuals my father has, trying to find some fast .410 bore reloads. Scouring the internet as well. I was wondering if any of you have any speedy .410 loads? These would be for duck, goose, pheasant and other hunt-able winged creatures. Any and all data would be great! Personally I am interested in 1450fps or faster. But I am looking to put a exclusively .410 manual together for myself and others who would be interested. Thanks in advance, and happy shooting everyone!

BuddyWhitetail

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Re: Speed kills

Postby Fishh2o » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:09 am

What shot are you wanting to use in these loads?

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

BuddyWhitetail

Postby BuddyWhitetail » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:46 am

What ever is applicable. Right now I am shooting federal steel #6, 3/8ths oz at 1400fps. While they do work, I want something with a bit more wallop. So anything heavier than steel that will keep its momentum. I am in the process of ordering tss 9s. I say process because my bank is giving me a headache :D

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:46 pm

You shouldn't not need to have all that speed if you go up to high density loads. Once Im back home i can pull up the ballistic in KPY and share them for #9 tss at different speeds and then compared against #6 steel. Also the slower velocities should improve patterns.

Your going to have a hard time having anyone share loads they developed unless they have already tested them. You should get some load data when you purchase the shoot too. I would be willing to help out if i had ever developed any .410 loads but I haven't.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:13 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that speed is a means to an end - penetration energy. And Fishh2o is right, density trumps speed and is easier to work with, but more expensive.

BPI has a small bore manual that has some decent loads in it - if I remember correctly.

My TSS loads carry the most penetration energy of any loads I know of, but they're more expensive of course.

BuddyWhitetail

Postby BuddyWhitetail » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Both of you I agree with. The reason I am wanting a faster load is not for wallop or penetrating force but rather for my own liking. I regularly use steel loads going 1500 fps to 1635 fps out of my 20/12 gauges. I'm just trying to look for some common ground that I am comfortable/used to shooting. I know those kinds of speeds can be over kill sometimes but the lead time on moving targets is very minimal.

Return to “410 Gauge”