heavy steel

General Chit Chat

Moderator: hawglips

Fishh2o
Site Admin

heavy steel

Postby Fishh2o » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:02 pm

hey guys do any of yall know the density of heavy steel?

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Dave in AZ

Re: heavy steel

Postby Dave in AZ » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:18 pm

It's just normal regular steel shot.

apparently when it first came out, "Hevi-Steel", it maybe was a wee bit more, but no longer-- now it's just a BRAND NAME of steel shot. So 7.8g/cc

The actually have some decent loadings though, 28ga at least they're kinda it commercially.
I would never buy from them though based on a consistent pattern of duplicity and attempting to fool the customer with slick advertising that goes beyond "marketing" and into just fraudulent statements, IMO.

andersoncn

Postby andersoncn » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:24 pm

Dave in AZ wrote:It's just normal regular steel shot.

apparently when it first came out, "Hevi-Steel", it maybe was a wee bit more, but no longer-- now it's just a BRAND NAME of steel shot. So 7.8g/cc

The actually have some decent loadings though, 28ga at least they're kinda it commercially.
I would never buy from them though based on a consistent pattern of duplicity and attempting to fool the customer with slick advertising that goes beyond "marketing" and into just fraudulent statements, IMO.

I completely agree with Dave regarding EMI's unethical and fraudulent marketing techniques. I have been shooting Heavy Metal for years thinking it had a mixture of true Heavy Shot (12 g/cc) and steel. I dissected a few of them and found some interesting things. Firstly, then "Heavy Shot" they use, according to my measurement, only has a density of 8.74 g/cc, which is less than Bismuth and barely better than steel. I measured the steel at 7.7 g/cc which is standard. Also, the steel is not zinc plated so it may be susceptible to rusting if it gets wet, but they state that it is coated with something to prevent rust and is a "special" alloy that does not rust. I haven't tested that yet, so the jury is still out. They also state that they have 224 pellets in the 3.5" #2 load; However, I cut open and counted two shells purchased on two different years, and both had exactly 203 pellets, which is barely an improvement over Black Cloud, which has 180. Go look at some other forums and you'll see EMI has a track record of deceit with their customers.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:49 pm

It's puzzling to me why EMI is persistent in misleading their customers. Makes absolutely no sense to me. :?:

Return to “General”