TSSxSteel duplexing ?

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

Dave in AZ

Re: TSSxSteel duplexing ?

Postby Dave in AZ » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:05 pm

Mt1784, nice job!
Hey that bpi pt2092 load, 2 folks I know loading it got burn thru on the wad, on the powder cup. I have loaded that too. What we do is punch out some plastic from that sheet of plastic inside bacon packs, and glue it to bottom of powder cup. Patterns were messed up on all shots we did where gas burned thru the wad, so this keeps it from happening.
I have a post with pics about it on my blog under wad fillers I think.

Also, you might make that crimp a bit deeper. Check your fps on that load, with all that felt the pressure will be lower.
Good luck!

mt1784

Postby mt1784 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:20 pm

Thanks I will look at putting the plastic in the bottom. I felt the same way about the crimps but not sure how to fix, if I push harder it seems to buckle the hull (That's how I ruined two). Its just a cheap Lee load all so not sure if the crimp is adjustable. I will need to play with it some more.

ctm

Postby ctm » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:42 am

Dave, thank you for pointing out your write-up of the bacon sheet discs for the PT2092 wad. I had read your wad filler post in the past, but must've missed your write-up on punching the discs. I remember seeing the burn thru issue on dla's page, but wasn't sure where to source the kitchen cutting board material he used. The bacon sheets are much easier to source.

Also, mt1784 I am using the same BPI load recipe to duplex steel/TSS. I have essentially copied the 3/9.5 combo Dave described in one of his blog posts. However, once I can source some more hulls, I plan to experiment with different shot sizes and pellet percentages for purposes of making a better duck/goose combo. I did use 9's last year on both ducks and geese with success, but I had a couple instances where mallards and geese didn't drop immediately.

mt1784

Postby mt1784 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:33 pm

ctm wrote:Also, mt1784 I am using the same BPI load recipe to duplex steel/TSS. I have essentially copied the 3/9.5 combo Dave described in one of his blog posts. However, once I can source some more hulls, I plan to experiment with different shot sizes and pellet percentages for purposes of making a better duck/goose combo. I did use 9's last year on both ducks and geese with success, but I had a couple instances where mallards and geese didn't drop immediately.

Glad to know someone else is using this load. I got lucky and BPI had new primed hulls in a little bit ago. I have 7 and 9 tss and 2, 3 and 4 steel so can do some experimenting. I had read similar reports with using 9's which is why I went 7's. I might go #8tss in the future. Once I see how these shoot I am planning on a 9/4 combo for pheasants. This summer I think in need to put this load in a 2 3/4" hull and send off for testing as the 3" has so much room.

denis

Postby denis » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:08 am

Hi, I'm writing from Italy, these is the first time that I'm doing it in a USA site, so first of all .. excuse me for my not perfect english. I reload steel since 4 years ago, but looking for better performances I bought some TSS 9, 8 and 7.
In 12 gauge, using 3 inches hull (Nobel Sport) and 688 primer (similar to Fiocchi 616 or Cheddite CX2000) and M92S powder by Bascheri&Pellagri, 1 1/8 oz steel n.2 (31 grams) I'm reaching 1450 fps and 11600 psi (more or less).
My idea is to duplex 4 grams of n. 9 TSS with 27 grams of n.2 steel and 5 grams of n. 8 TSS with 26 grams of n.2 steel, use as filler 2 millimeters of cork papered (with paper) in every side and adding, if necessary, an another paper disk (very strong).
What do you think about my ipothesys? It will be a good solution for mallards at 35-40 yards?
And what about nr 7 TSS? I think that I have to add almost 7 or 8 grammi to reach a good number of pellets.... :(
Due to Covid restrictions in this particular moment I can't shoot some cartridges, but the day I'll can I'll show you some patterns.
Thank you very much for your answers

Denis

mt1784

Postby mt1784 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:30 am

Denis- I am to new at this to give you a great answer so hopefully one of the experts sees this.

I loaded up 12g version similar to the 20 but 437 total grains in a 2 3/4 hull 1253 wad with long shot power. I have a P&W375 for the 12g so the crimp is way better.
I shot a few rounds of both 20g and 12g at the pattern board.
The 2092 wads had the gas seal torn off and look a lot worse for the wear. The gun was a new Tristar Raptor(20 gauge). It was ejecting these shells a good 10+ feet away. These were shots 5,6 and 7 out of this gun. Afterwards shot some clays and the target loads only ejected maybe 2 feet. I am going to get some gas seal wads, I think and try those. Might help with stack height and would allow me to remove the felt wad from the top of the shot. I shot both at 20, 30 and 40 yrds but this feels representative. I used Tyvek and the pattern does not show up that well so will have to try a different paper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mt1784 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denis

Postby denis » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:11 am

I'm my experience with lead, to insert the filler (felt wad or cork) on the top of the pellets it has never been a good solution.
I don't know what do you mean with gas seal wad, In Italy we have good steel wads that do not show these problems, you can look at Baschieri &Pellagri italian site, named Steel series. I think that in your case you have a problem because gas is passing from above to the lateral parts of the wad.

denis

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:09 pm

Your ejection distance and wad being ripped sound like high pressure signs to me. I would not try using a gas seal underneath because that just increases the pressure. I couldn't tell whether you were talking about your 20 gauge or 12 gauge and any of your settings comments since they were both topics in the same paragraph but not listed in the individual problem sentences.

For the 2092 load I would abandon that wad and use the new 20 gauge TPS wad instead, which is currently in stock at BPI. It is a nice ridged gualandi wad in there LBC series that BPI uses that term for. Gualandi calls it their tubo series. Much tougher wad.

mt1784

Postby mt1784 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:19 pm

I must of missed the TPS wads as they are showing out of stock. I will get some for sure when they come back. Anybody know if the Tristars are overbore? I think I will load it with straight steel per recipe and see if I get the same wad problems.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:57 pm

Denis, your two loads sound lime they would work great. 7tss is overkill except on geese, and then you don't need many pellets on geese.

Mt, on that pt2092 load, there are two loads in book, one has a lower powder... maybe 35gr? In any case, my buddy doesnt get the wad burn thru with that lower amount. It is a really flimsy plastic on that wad though... if you stick with it, I would try a bit slower loads. And maybe smaller, so lower pressure. If wad comes apart like that, patterns will be poor anyways, so probably wasted shot on heavier loads anyways.

Return to “TSS”