Susbstituting TSS shot for steel shot?

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

Faustus

Susbstituting TSS shot for steel shot?

Postby Faustus » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:23 pm

Hi everyone, my first post on here. There seems to be a lot of knowledge and experience around here ..... so I though I ask here.

I am trying to understand the dynamics of substituting the steel shot in a steel shot recipe, with TSS shot of equal weight.

Lets say I have a tested 12ga ¾ oz of steel shot recipe. And I want to replace the steel shot with equal weight of TSS shot (and buffer to fill up the volume), ..... how would this affect pressure? Would pressure normally go up .... or down?

And assuming no other changes to the recipe.

Appreciate everyone's help ..... thanks.

patternfreak

Re: Susbstituting TSS shot for steel shot?

Postby patternfreak » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:06 pm

A charge of tss in equivalent weight to steel will be a much shorter shot column due to its higher density. As the shot column shortens, the pressure decreases. I would recommend felt wads for filling up empty space. There really is no way to tell how much your pressure decreases, it may decrease so low that in cold weather you have failure to fire. I know I probably sound like a broken record on here, but the only way to know is to have the load tested

Faustus

Postby Faustus » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:47 pm

patternfreak wrote:A charge of tss in equivalent weight to steel will be a much shorter shot column due to its higher density. As the shot column shortens, the pressure decreases. I would recommend felt wads for filling up empty space. There really is no way to tell how much your pressure decreases, it may decrease so low that in cold weather you have failure to fire. I know I probably sound like a broken record on here, but the only way to know is to have the load tested

Thanks patternfreak for the quick reply .... very interesting. And I totally understand the "testing" reference.

For now I just want to understand the general observed behavior or dynamics with that sort of substitution.

I am trying to come up with a 12ga subsonic TSS load for hunting. So, I will have to decrease the powder charge of that recipe as well and to get to subsonic levels.

But from what I am understanding .... both of my changes to that recipe would lower pressure.

And yes, I have lots of 20ga felt disks to fill up the space in the wad ...

thanks again ....

patternfreak

Postby patternfreak » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:42 am

I'm sure tss can still retain penetration at subsonic speeds (less than 900 fps), but you might want to make sure you use a powder that retains pressure. Like I said, I don't trust anything under 10,000 psi to consistently fire when its cold out. Good luck with your load development! Sounds like a fun project

DagSwane

Postby DagSwane » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:51 pm

You might want to dig up ITX10 load data for subsonic shooting. Target powders we’re used, Promo being on of them. I think there’s published data for steel powder as well.

As a point of reference, bismuth at 1125fps kills within reason, low recoil and low report. Smaller gauges will also help to reduce report.

Return to “TSS”