Open up patterns!

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

kculbert2

Open up patterns!

Postby kculbert2 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:11 pm

Please help! Loaded up some tss 410's with published load data. I'm sure they would destroy a bird...if I could actually hit one! Problem is, these pattern SO tight that there is just no room for error. I suppose if I were hunting turkeys they would be great, but for fast crossing ducks, near impossible! I'm sure someone will say "learn to shoot better", but I assure you, I have been shooting all my life, and I know I am pretty darn good, but this stuff is nuts. At 25 yards, even with a CYLINDER choke, I'm keeping 3/8 oz of 9s in a circle no wider than my hand. Any advice on how to get this shot to open up a bit? Seems strange saying that, since all my life prior to tss I have just wanted patterns to be tighter. Thanks!

derbyacresbob

Re: Open up patterns!

Postby derbyacresbob » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:37 pm

Does your 3/8 oz load have many soft filler wads under the shot? If you remove some filler wad under the shot you maybe be able to use thin hard card wads between the shot so your 3/8 oz of shot would be in 3 or 4 layers inside the petals of the plastic wad.

You would only need 3 thin hard card wads to make 4 layers of TSS shot inside your plastic wad.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:52 pm

Most folks have found you need to put steel shot on top, so the tss gets dispersed as it pushes thru the steel from behind due to better ballistics. In a 410 load, I'd try some 7 steel on top, replacing some tss. You will need a valid mixed tested load though. I don't have data on me. Look thru posts, bullet225ho had some 410 loads he was happy with for ducks.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:57 pm

Rottford

Postby Rottford » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:28 am

Comp-N-Choke has a choke in 410 that is -.005 that I use in my Tristar Viper G2 .... which is more open than Cylinder ;)

I have some patterns I posted on here in another thread.

Return to “TSS”