28 Ga Steel Duplex Load Data

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

patternfreak

28 Ga Steel Duplex Load Data

Postby patternfreak » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:24 am

Hey all, not really sure why all load data is kept so private by individuals who have it tested. I would like to share my favorite 28 Ga load that I came up with. Obviously I assume no responsibility for your loading or shooting practices. Here goes:

2 3/4" Cheddite Hull, New, Primed
26 Grains Lil Gun
TPS 28 Ga Wad
1/4" 32 Ga felt
1/8" 32 Ga Felt
137 Gr TSS
164 Gr Steel
6 PT Fold Crimp
1447 FPS, 10,090 PSI

This is a great load and the recoil is so minimal I can't even describe it. The only worry with this is that in super cold weather the pressure would drop and cause failure to fires since it would be around 8,000 PSI. So since I had room to play with on pressure I bumped it up to 27 grains. At 27 grains you get 1553 FPS, 12,193 PSI. If you are hunting in the cold load it this way. Early season stick to 26 grains since it is plenty at 70 deg.

I know this is a lightweight load, but with a 3/9 blend I still have around 172 pellets, and putting 70% of them in a 30" circle at 40 yards is no problem. This gives me 120 pellets and according to Roster's CONSEP chart this allows me to still be able to take medium size ducks as well as large ducks. For geese I load this with a 1/7.5 blend which gives me 105 pellets. 6 more pellets than I used to have shooting 3.5" BB steel and a heck of a lot less recoil.

This is a load I'm very happy with. Since the shot column is so short it patterns unbelievably well. With both my IC and MOD factory chokes I am getting over 80% patterns at 40 yards. There was not much difference between the IC and MOD. When I went down to my cylinder choke I got what I consider to be the perfect steel duplex pattern. 70% in the 30" circle at 40 yards with the TSS distributed well and the steel on the outer portions of the pattern.

Load this one up for you, your wife, or your kids and go hunting. It is a pleasure to shoot and still packs enough punch to take all species of waterfowl

hawglips

Re: 28 Ga Steel Duplex Load Data

Postby hawglips » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:42 am

Looks like a very nice load.

Have you played around with how you stack the TSS vs steel (top, bottom, mixed, etc) on this one to see how it affects the pattern?

patternfreak

Postby patternfreak » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:32 pm

Yes sir I have. The TSS on the bottom is the way to go for me with this load. When I put the TSS on top I got a very very tight center core of TSS and steel scattered around. When I put the TSS on the bottom I get a much more even distribution of TSS at 40 yards with steel around the edges. This is what I want at this range...the steel to be out of the way and a good even distribution of TSS to take care of the long game

If I was a much much better shot I would consider doing the TSS on top, but I like to allow myself a little bit of room for error! The TSS was in a 12" circle at 40 yards with TSS on top

DagSwane

Postby DagSwane » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:58 am

patternfreak wrote:Hey all, not really sure why all load data is kept so private by individuals who have it tested. I would like to share my favorite 28 Ga load that I came up with. Obviously I assume no responsibility for your loading or shooting practices. Here goes:

2 3/4" Cheddite Hull, New, Primed
26 Grains Lil Gun
TPS 28 Ga Wad
1/4" 32 Ga felt
1/8" 32 Ga Felt
137 Gr TSS
164 Gr Steel
6 PT Fold Crimp
1447 FPS, 10,090 PSI

This is a great load and the recoil is so minimal I can't even describe it. The only worry with this is that in super cold weather the pressure would drop and cause failure to fires since it would be around 8,000 PSI. So since I had room to play with on pressure I bumped it up to 27 grains. At 27 grains you get 1553 FPS, 12,193 PSI. If you are hunting in the cold load it this way. Early season stick to 26 grains since it is plenty at 70 deg.

I know this is a lightweight load, but with a 3/9 blend I still have around 172 pellets, and putting 70% of them in a 30" circle at 40 yards is no problem. This gives me 120 pellets and according to Roster's CONSEP chart this allows me to still be able to take medium size ducks as well as large ducks. For geese I load this with a 1/7.5 blend which gives me 105 pellets. 6 more pellets than I used to have shooting 3.5" BB steel and a heck of a lot less recoil.

This is a load I'm very happy with. Since the shot column is so short it patterns unbelievably well. With both my IC and MOD factory chokes I am getting over 80% patterns at 40 yards. There was not much difference between the IC and MOD. When I went down to my cylinder choke I got what I consider to be the perfect steel duplex pattern. 70% in the 30" circle at 40 yards with the TSS distributed well and the steel on the outer portions of the pattern.

Load this one up for you, your wife, or your kids and go hunting. It is a pleasure to shoot and still packs enough punch to take all species of waterfowl

Thanks for sharing, I bet some hw15 would work nicely in there as well. I’ll try some out. You like tungsten on bottom, or too? I’ve had success with straight steel 3’s and 4’s for ducks on the River. The 28 is great, lots of viable options out there

patternfreak

Postby patternfreak » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:44 am

TSS on the bottom in all of my loads. That is what satisfies my personal preference for patterning and performance

DagSwane

Postby DagSwane » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:57 am

patternfreak wrote:TSS on the bottom in all of my loads. That is what satisfies my personal preference for patterning and performance

Any pictures of the 28gauge patterns?

patternfreak

Postby patternfreak » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:53 am

According to beretta my CYL is a .545 and my IC is a .535

A .542 or .540 would probably be perfect, but I think the CYL will suit my needs as I'm sure its much tighter at 30 yards

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:45 pm

Those are great pattern pics, I love that you have all the needed info written there! Yeah that cyl would be good in over decoys I think.

patternfreak

Postby patternfreak » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:12 am

I ordered a .541 carlson to play with. Looks like the Beretta factory constrictions are actually pretty tight, the .541 is what Carlson calls a Light Modified, but Beretta would call it a skeet constriction. I'll report back!

patternfreak

Postby patternfreak » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:39 pm

As expected, the .541 “LM” Carlson was tighter than my factory CYL but looser than my factory IC. Ended up with a 74% pattern at 40 yards and 95% at 25. Nice even pattern at 40 with the tss distributed well. This will definitely be the choke I hunt with in this gun. Anyone who loads this should be looking around the .535-.542 range for choke constriction. Looking forward to putting this load to work on some green heads

Return to “TSS”