Looking for some direction on waterfowl duplex

General data and information handloading data

Moderator: hawglips

jmyner99er

Looking for some direction on waterfowl duplex

Postby jmyner99er » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:09 pm

I'm trying to figure out duplex loads for waterfowl. A retired firefighter moved out of california and gave me 3lbs of #6 tss. I started researching what components I needed. I bought some itx10 #2. (thinking it would pair up decent with the #6tss)

I bought some 2¾ fiocchi unskived primed hulls, (before I found this forum and started reading posts) BP has a straight 1oz tss18 recipe for these hull, but from what I read here, you don't want to add a less dense material to the recipe…

So, my understanding is, I'd want to use an itx10 recipe and incorporate the tss for a duplex load matching the overall shot weight?

Somehow I need to figure out how to contact Hal, buy some tss and aquire duplex load data for waterfowl. I can hear my steel shot slap off of the specks/snow down feathers.

The powder I have acquired is:
800x, longshot, proreach, international, tightwad, herco.

Win209 primers

Some direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
James

paulinkansas

Re: Looking for some direction on waterfowl duplex

Postby paulinkansas » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:22 pm

Is the density of your TSS 15 or 18 g/cc?

jmyner99er

Postby jmyner99er » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:29 pm

paulinkansas wrote:Is the density of your TSS 15 or 18 g/cc?

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:07 pm

I'm not going to tell you what to do. But I'll tell you what I did with my duplex loads. I looked at the Hodgdon or Alliant website and used their recipes for steel shot. Hodgdon has steel recipes. I used their recipes but substitute 1/4 -1/3 oz TSS for the same weight of steel shot. You will have to put some felt spacers in the bottom of the wad or use a smaller capacity wad of the same style with a bigger payload. The recipe I used called for Fed hulls and primers, I subbed a different hull with a milder primer. With #6 TSS, I would pair that with BB, B or 1.

jmyner99er

Postby jmyner99er » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:41 pm

Paul, my thinking as a beginner, was itx10 #2 was close to steel BB.

I'm buying all the books I can find on reloading steel and non toxic. Ballistic products has a 3" load itx#2 federal BP hull, 209a primer, longshot and pt1253 wad. To incorporate tss into this load is it the same thought process as incorporating tss into a steel load?

*note reading Dave in AZ blog linking to duck hunting chat forum mentioning using hevishot in AA hulls.

I have a boat load of winAA hulls. I guess lowbase AA hulls can be used?

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:39 pm

There are like 3 crappy winAA steel loads in existence. To use as a donor steel load. Every other hull in the universe is preferable due to data.

Paulinkansas method is good.
Other notes:
1. Duplexing itx10 is kinda a waste... it already makes a great shell with enough pellets, all by itself.
2. Tss 6 is heavy enough per pellet that you don't get many extra pellets by replacing steel with it. The main reason to duplex is to get enough pellets in load. I would use tss6 for giant goose load only, with BBB or bigger. It is equivalent of F or T steel, I'm not at my computer to check right now.
3. If I had itx2, Id load it up as a goose load.

Sorry succint, lost my pist had to retype on phone. Welcome! ;)
Ps, if you did itx10 2s and tss6, the prob with using itx donor load is it isnt hard like steel or tss. Sooo... doesnt work quite the same as using steel load w tss, where pellets react the same to pressure. You're starting at square 1 there doing complete load development, and would need to send in for tests as thats a complete crapshoot. In general I think itx or bismuth duplex is a terrible idea for many reasons.

jmyner99er

Postby jmyner99er » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:16 pm

Great info Dave. I would think itx and tss would be a sweet combo.

What's the theory on having different hardness in the shell? It's just propelling mass? Once it gets to the choke I can see descepancies like how lead vs steel responds when choked.

Whats the best way to contact Hal for some tss #7.5 or 8, BBB and some 3" hulls

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:04 am

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:25 pm

Buy a sharp utility knife. You'll be cutting open a lot of shells because of the crimp. I'm using 2.75" wads in a 3" hull with a payload appropriate for 3" shells. The problem is the stack height is too short. The crimp dishes. Some people told me to put a nitro card between the powder and the wad. I gained .07" from the thickness of the card, which isn't much. But it does prevent the powder from filling the base cup of the wad. That raised the stack height by about .25" and I got good crimps.

jmyner99er

Postby jmyner99er » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:47 am

Paul I take it the nitro card doesn't effect pressure to be concerned with.

On the subject of putting something between the powder and the wad, what's the purpose of a gas seal? Build pressure or keep the powder burn from melting the plastic wad?

With these tss loads, is there a ranking/list on preferred wads?

Also, when and why does one decide to use mylar?

At this point, with all the reloading components out of stock. I think I'm just going to load straight #6 tss18 for 1oz. BP Load ID 180830-10621. Fiocchi hulls, longshot, fs12, lbc30, and inserts.

Anything specific need to done to these wads like slits or load in general?

Will the lbc30 wad alone protect the barrel?

Thanks

Return to “General and Beginners Information”