Powder Options

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

Alfie73

Powder Options

Postby Alfie73 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:42 am

Morning All,

I’m hoping someone can help.

I have a tested 20 gauge TSS load which currently requires 30grns of Alliant Steel Powder.

My question is if there is a straightforward calculation I can use to convert it to Lil Gun instead of the Alliant powder.

Many thanks

Alfie

Dave in AZ

Re: Powder Options

Postby Dave in AZ » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:43 pm

Absolutely not.
There is no converting between powders!
Find a tested recipe using Lilgun. There are lots out there in BPI manuals for steel shot which might give you a start point to send a load in for pressure testing if you don't like the tested recipe you have.

The fact you asked this question kind of worries me that you are reloading your own ammo...

I don't intend to insult you, but your question pretty much is an in your face violation of the first rules and basic principles in every reloading book ever written... so please take this as concern for you, not being snarky or insulting...
Have you read a book on reloading, like Lymans or RSI or Advantages? Or did someone just give you this recipe? I recommend a steel shot book as it is unforgiving due to shot hardness, and is similar to tss that way.

Alfie73

Postby Alfie73 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:40 pm

Hi Dave,

It is as I expected and no offence taken.

I’m happy with the load I have but have quite a bit of Lil Gun so was hoping to use it up before buying more Alliant.

I don’t alter any tested load data myself hence why the question was asked.

Thanks

Alfie

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:01 pm

Alfie, not sure what your target is or goal. But I use a lot of 20ga steel for ducks, and all my favorite loads use LilGun. For me, a good answer is to take a favorite 400-437gr steel load in 3" 20ga, BPI has 10 or 15 now, and replace 1/8oz of the steel with 1/8oz of TSS #9.5. Lower pressures, fps same or close--maybe less if pressure is a good bit less, hard to tell. I like #3 steel in 20ga, my 1oz normal shell with 1/8oz tss replaced for steel gives me 187 pellets. That's the same as a 1-1/2oz #2 steel load for pellets, or 1oz #4 steel, but reaches way further.

If you're looking for 100% tss 20ga loads, I'd say buy your TSS from Hal and get a recipe from him that matches what you're doing, he has several LilGun ones.

Return to “TSS”