Hello From Melbourne

Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: hawglips

mchughcb

Hello From Melbourne

Postby mchughcb » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:52 pm

My name's Chuck and I live in Melbourne Victoria.

I'm joining this forum generally not get get information but to share it. I learnt about TSS when I was in Reno last year shopping at Cabelas and Scheels. You cannot buy factory loaded ammo here probably as there is no market. At the moment I have nothing to share because I'm waiting for my TSS to arrive on a plane from China and my overshot cards to arrive from Ballistic Products Inc because the Australian distributer of the BPI is out of a lot of stock.

I am the only person who hunts in Australia with a 20 Gauge Triple Crown as I had to import it myself from AZ (thanks Robweexportguns). I generally use my Triple Crown for foxes and rabbits over hounds and use the NSI 31 gram #0 (3.9mm) in lead. Even at 40 yards you will get runners. Not a big issue as the hounds run them down but I've decided after 3 decades of procrastination to get back into shotgun reloading just so I can try TSS on foxes with 1oz of #7. I'm just going to repurpose my 28gram Eley CT20 target loads or 31 Gram Plumbum NSI hunting loads or my GB 30 gram BB loads. I'm just going to cut them, put some buffer in them and roll crimp them. I've calculated the 28gram Eley will load a 28gram #7 TSS without any spacers and the NSI will load 24 gram #TSS without any spacers. I'll cut down the shells put in the buffer and roll crimp them and they should be darn close. I will report back here in a month or so when the gear has arrived, I've managed some patterning. Also if they proves successful I'll also be making videos during the year of hunting with the #7 and if the loads are good enough I might get some #9.5 for ducks as well. We can't shoot deer down here with shotgun buckshot by law and our main deer Sambar about 550lbs, so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to legally hunt them and report back on performance.

20_Gauge_TSS_Calc.JPG

Anyhow that's enough about my shotgun hunting.
Here's some action from this year, using lead hopefully next year its going to be TSS!
Cheers Chuck

https://youtu.be/6xV11s-x0Io
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hawglips

Re: Hello From Melbourne

Postby hawglips » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:58 am

Chuck, welcome to the board!

mchughcb

Re: Hello From Melbourne

Postby mchughcb » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:31 am

Thanks Hal. Word on the net, even in Australia is you are the guru. I'm just getting my head around how much stuff is restricted or out of stock these days for shotgun reloading, not just in Australia but on most web pages I'm seeing these days. My mate at my local gunstore has just informed me that not only will Winchester not be exporting powder to Australia anymore, but I've just been told Hodgdon isn't going to ship either and with his last batch of Lil' Gun at the store, once its gone its gone. On top of that the last long drop lead tower just down the road in Australia just closed its doors and my last trip to Reno last year I was told they were closing the last lead smelter in the USA. So the options are getting limited. The limitation of powders here is not getting down to ADI and Alliant. Anyway I'm going to push on in the name of knowledge.

Return to “Introductions”