Your opinion on a "non-traditional" turkey load?

Turkey hunting

Moderator: hawglips

Indy68

Your opinion on a "non-traditional" turkey load?

Postby Indy68 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:34 pm

I have a lifetime state license for here in Indiana so thought I'd mess around and go turkey hunting next spring. It's never excited me much thinking about doing it but, retired, so what the heck.
I've got a decent woods. A buddy of mine and I both hunted it for deer for decades and there were always turkey around. He shoots one every spring but I never found much desire.

We have "different" turkey regs than a lot of states. No shotguns in anything smaller than 20 gauge and shot size allowed is 7 1/2 to #4 shot.

While it's "more sporting" or whatever for a head shot, I see NO reason to think #4 TSS shot worked up to give decent patterns with whatever choke works best, out to 40-45 yards and fairly high velocity wouldn't zip through a turkey and be lethal, if smaller shot shoots through a goose. Maybe even #5 TSS shot?
1400-1450 fps shouldn't be any problem, since I don't see any "need" for a heavy shot column with the right choke.

Thoughts? (on it being lethal, not your opinion on anyone's "ethics" PLEASE?) It's LEGAL, but would it be as deadly as I think? Using a 20 gauge, 2 3/4 chamber.
God bless
Indy

hawglips

Re: Your opinion on a "non-traditional" turkey load?

Postby hawglips » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:07 am

At slow speeds, you would be very surprised how many #9 pellets will penetrate clear through a large turkey's body at 40 yds. #4 TSS, of course, will penetrate all that much more. For best results on turkeys, day in and day out, in all kinds of situations, It's all about the pattern once the pellet penetration is adequate, IMO.

Greg

Re: Your opinion on a "non-traditional" turkey load?

Postby Greg » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:59 pm

#7 tss has plenty of energy to nearly shoot through a turkey at 50yds when leaving the muzzle at about 1300fps. I use #8 to shoot geese and rarely find them as they have passed through.

Return to “Turkey”