28ga load data

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

Ohio_Waterfowler

28ga load data

Postby Ohio_Waterfowler » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:19 pm

Not exactly new to loading tss but have not loaded anything smaller than 20ga. till now.
I picked up a 28ga autoloader and want to shoots straight tss for duck loads. Know little or nothing about the tps 28 or the PT series wads Looking for advice and a good starting points

Thanks

FFL Dealer
Life Member NAHC
Life Member NRA

Dave in AZ

Re: 28ga load data

Postby Dave in AZ » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:56 am

There are a couple good loads for 28 gauge running around. The main one I use I found that toasty had already been using basically the same load for three or four years and had tons of field experience with it. And I believe Hal did a pressure test on that load.

If you look at 28 gauge Society or DHC at Toasties 28 gauge posts you'll see him talking about the load he's been using for 4 years now and I usually reply to those threads so you can search for our names.

Additionally bullet 225 ho has been shooting a bunch of 28 gauge with some steel loads and tested a few.

For TSS I am using number 9.5 for ducks and actually bought some tens and elevens from hawglips a year ago for 28 gauge and 410 but haven't loaded them yet. I like the 9.5 TSS because it is the equivalent of B Steel for ballistics and penetration, and it's easy for me to remember that 1/8 oz is 55 pellets. So 3/8 Oz would give you plenty of pallets for large and medium ducks and probably small Ducks also because it patterns so tight you would get 90 to 100% patterns at 40 yards pretty easy I think. Because of that I don't look at 100% TSS for the 28 gauge because that doesn't fill up a wad. The only wad available is the TPS 28 used for steel and TSS. That thing holds a lot so my game plan is a steel donor load replacing 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz with TSS. That's what toasty's load is.

Ohio_Waterfowler

Re: 28ga load data

Postby Ohio_Waterfowler » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:03 am

Dave in AZ wrote:There are a couple good loads for 28 gauge running around. The main one I use I found that toasty had already been using basically the same load for three or four years and had tons of field experience with it. And I believe Hal did a pressure test on that load.

If you look at 28 gauge Society or DHC at Toasties 28 gauge posts you'll see him talking about the load he's been using for 4 years now and I usually reply to those threads so you can search for our names.

Additionally bullet 225 ho has been shooting a bunch of 28 gauge with some steel loads and tested a few.

For TSS I am using number 9.5 for ducks and actually bought some tens and elevens from hawglips a year ago for 28 gauge and 410 but haven't loaded them yet. I like the 9.5 TSS because it is the equivalent of B Steel for ballistics and penetration, and it's easy for me to remember that 1/8 oz is 55 pellets. So 3/8 Oz would give you plenty of pallets for large and medium ducks and probably small Ducks also because it patterns so tight you would get 90 to 100% patterns at 40 yards pretty easy I think. Because of that I don't look at 100% TSS for the 28 gauge because that doesn't fill up a wad. The only wad available is the TPS 28 used for steel and TSS. That thing holds a lot so my game plan is a steel donor load replacing 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz with TSS. That's what toasty's load is.

Thanks Dave
You and I have talked on DHC before. I just haven't been on in awhile do to all the farm work.

FFL Dealer
Life Member NAHC
Life Member NRA

Return to “TSS”