Australian magpie goose hunter

Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: hawglips

Chickenridge

Australian magpie goose hunter

Postby Chickenridge » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:03 am

G'day guys. Thanks for letting me join. I am an average meat hunter in Aus. TSS is almost unheard of in northern Australia where we hunt magpie geese. These geese are about 6-8lbs and up to 3ft length probably like a snow goose size. They have a penchant for eating lead shot so we are restricted to non-lead in most areas. The standard used here for 12G is 1.25 oz steel BB but it is not very effective. They are big tough birds that fly high but slow. And I reckon that the poor penetration of steel is to blame. When in areas where lead shot is permitted #2 shot is used with good effect. Birds must be shot and brought down quickly over land as the swamps have large crocodiles which prohibit use of dogs or retrieving them yourself.

After seeing how many geese are not cleanly killed and lost by hunters up here, I ordered and received 6lb of TSS #6 from China as it is the smallest shot size legally allowed to use. Density and diameter check out. I have only limited experience with reloading shotshell but would be looking at 1.25 Oz TSS #6 in 12 g for a pellet count of 175. We can get most common reloading supplies and have good powder selection produced here.

I get that many people 'spike' steel loads but these are tough birds soaks i am an average hunter so I am happy to wear the financial hurt to run full TSS loads. I would be grateful for any starting loads to start from as there is not much knowledge on TSS in Australia to get started.
20200602_212032.jpg

For those who haven't seen one before, this is what a magpie goose looks like.

I hope to get some success so everyone in Aus can reduce the number of lost and injured birds.

Thanks heaps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

paulinkansas

Re: Australian magpie goose hunter

Postby paulinkansas » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:00 pm

There isn't really any published loads for straight TSS. What I would do is see how much volume 1.25 oz of TSS #6 takes in a non-toxic wad. It'll probably fit in a wad meant for 7/8 oz of steel. But you need a recipe for a 1.25 oz steel load with a 7/8 oz wad of the same style. That's going to get complicated.

Your best bet is to look on Alliant Powder's website for some 1.25 oz recipes for steel. You'll substitute the TSS for the steel shot. You'll have to add felt fillers at the bottom of the wad. How many? You'll have to experiment. I'd buy some 1/4 and 1/8 inch round fillers and play around with how many you need in order to have a proper crimp.

Out of curiosity I tried to see how much TSS #8 filled up a 1.25 oz steel wad. It was a little under 3 ounces.

Your TSS #6 is probably lethal to 100 yards if it starts out around 1300 fps. You don't need to push TSS very fast.

Chickenridge

Postby Chickenridge » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:03 pm

Cheers Paul. That pretty much answers it for me. Use steel load data but adjust for column height with fillers and or different wads?

I agree that 1300 fps is plenty fast.

I will work up and let you know how I go.

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:01 pm

Here's my go to recipe. Take a 1 ounce (or 1 1/8 oz) steel wad. Add a 1/4 of TSS on the bottom. Add 1 ounce of steel, then crimp. I use a published recipe for a 3" shell with a 1 1/4 oz payload. I just substitute the next smaller size wad of the same style. All killer, no filler.

Return to “Introductions”