Reloading TSS on my Mec 9000G progressive

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

Redhead78

Reloading TSS on my Mec 9000G progressive

Postby Redhead78 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:26 pm

Hello,

1st post here, thanks to all of you who are willing to share info on this forum.

My question is have any of you had success with a Mec universal charge bar dropping a light payload of half ounce #9.5 TSS? Or is the volume/space required for the higher density TSS smaller than what the charge bar calibrated for lead can adjust for?

I have loaded over 5 cases of 28 ga Fiocchi hulls with the TPS28 wad and 2 FC410 fillers without issue on the 9000G, but those were 0.75 ounce payloads. I'm concerned I may run into issues with the lighter 0.50 ounce payloads in the .410 bore.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Regards,

AKH

paulinkansas

Re: Reloading TSS on my Mec 9000G progressive

Postby paulinkansas » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:24 am

5 cases of .75 oz loads. Are they TSS? I wish I could afford to do that. That's $3750 worth of TSS. If your charge bar doesn't go down in volume to handle a .5 oz load, you can always add some tape to the inside to reduce the volume. I suggest that aluminum duct tape for air conditioning ducts.

Redhead78

Postby Redhead78 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:05 am

paulinkansas wrote:5 cases of .75 oz loads. Are they TSS? I wish I could afford to do that. That's $3750 worth of TSS. If your charge bar doesn't go down in volume to handle a .5 oz load, you can always add some tape to the inside to reduce the volume. I suggest that aluminum duct tape for air conditioning ducts.

Like I mentioned on the Refuge forum when we PM'd back and forth, the TSS was given to me for a total cost of $0.00. The only cost I have in the 5 cases of TSS shotshells is the primed hulls, powder, wads, and spacers. I loaded the 50 boxes up and we split the lot half and half. He provided the shot, and I provided the remaining components and did the loading. I can afford that any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I've considered the tape trick, but have never actually tried it before. Have you had success using that method? I may just resort to going with the lightest payload the universal charge bar can consistently produce and be done with it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

AKH

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:23 pm

I have had a buddy make a bushing for a MEC bar to drop 2 oz and 1-5/8 oz of TSS. Works well. He had to drill out the hole to fit the bushing....

A great time saver when loading a lot of shells....

Redhead78

Postby Redhead78 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:06 am

Thanks for the advice. I had considered modifying the charge bar to accept a powder bushing on the shot side but wondered if there was a bushing with small enough volume to accommodate 0.50 ounces of TSS? I also wondered how I would machine the charge bar to fit the lip of the powder bushing. Sounds like it has been done before, so I may give it a go. I will report back on how it works.

Appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. Happy loading!

Return to “TSS”