J.Stevens single shot

Open discussion on all things 12 Gauge.

Moderator: hawglips

Lost

J.Stevens single shot

Postby Lost » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:45 pm

I bought this shotgun because even though it is over a century old I was and even more so now impressed with the engineering design and craftsmanship. It was abused a bit but it still locks up tight. It had no choke in the 30" barrel so I cut it to 26" and it measures 0.742" ID so a bit modern that way being over bored. I'm looking at Invector plus tubes for it. The barrel band used on the Ruger #1 in 458 Win was just the right size for this barrel and a soak in my bullet casting pot lead at 650 plus degrees expanded it just enough to drop in place, a new front sight finished off the mods so far. I'll post up a pic or two later on but this little gun is very handy and will be even more so with TSS...
Lost

Dave in AZ

Re: J.Stevens single shot

Postby Dave in AZ » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:31 am

That lead pot soak /barrel band thing sounds really interesting; I'm not sure what it is though. Definitely need a picture of that!

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:27 am

Yes my curiosity has been tickled on this one. Please post some picture up Lost.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Lost

Postby Lost » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:59 am

These Pink coloured Federal Top Gun hulls would leave a hole in the regular 8 pt fold crimp even after I Gaeped them so I cut them off using the Ponsness Warren sizing die as a means to not only hold the hull from moving but as an over all length gauge as well. Since they are to be used in the Stevens I also loaded them down around 1000 fps with lower pressures and will be used on the ATV trips where usually birds are less than 25 yards away but if I put a choke tube in this cut off 26 inch barrel I can stretch that range a bit although using TSS wouldn't require any constriction but I haven't patterned them yet without the tubes. Really liking these P-W reloaders although I said the same thing about all the different MEC loaders I have and have had.
Anyway if anyone would like more information don't hesitate to ask.
Lost

Lost

Postby Lost » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:13 am

Fishh2o wrote:Yes my curiosity has been tickled on this one. Please post some picture up Lost.

To expand the barrel ring I just put it in the molten Lead at about 650ºF and then just dropped it on the barrel. I didn't take any pics of it floating around in the lead but it did the trick LOL
Lost

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:15 am

Dave in AZ wrote:That lead pot soak /barrel band thing sounds really interesting; I'm not sure what it is though. Definitely need a picture of that!

Lost I'm with dave... What is the lead post soak for and why?

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:23 am

Lost wrote:
Fishh2o wrote:Yes my curiosity has been tickled on this one. Please post some picture up Lost.

To expand the barrel ring I just put it in the molten Lead at about 650ºF and then just dropped it on the barrel. I didn't take any pics of it floating around in the lead but it did the trick LOL
Lost

Ahh I you must have been posting while I was.

Lost

Postby Lost » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:48 am

Yep great minds think alike LOL
Make sure you have it aligned when you start it on because when it stops there is no moving it LMAO....
Got it from Brownells #780-001-005, S145 Sling Swivel Band @ $17.53 almost an inch ID.
Lost
Note: that band is tapered inside so get your direction right before dropping it on..... good luck
My 375H&H #1 measures Ø.850"-Ø.855".

Return to “12 Gauge”