Duplex loads, TSS on bottom or top?

General data and information handloading data

Moderator: hawglips

caniborrowsomeammo

Duplex loads, TSS on bottom or top?

Postby caniborrowsomeammo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:41 am

If placing TSS in the bottom of a load, under steel, does it increase the steel pattern at closer range? For instance shooting over dekes.
And if placing TSS on top of steel load, does the steel hold a tighter pattern? In this instance pass shooting geese up high.

Greg

Re: Duplex loads, TSS on bottom or top?

Postby Greg » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:30 pm

In my experience placing tss under steel gives you a tight core pattern of tss at long range and an open pattern of steel up close. Mixing the two together or placing tss on top of steel gives a more evenly distributed pattern of both materials. That is at least what I have seen with #5 steel and both #8 and #9 tss. There are several guys on here that have done much more extensive testing than I have.

bullet225ho

Postby bullet225ho » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:50 pm

Your right on both accounts. What I've found is that if your wanting to open up the pattern for decoy shooting yes steel on top and it can be any size steel that is less dense than the TSS itself so if your loading 8, 8.5, 9 TSS then you'd want 2, 3, 4 or smaller steel shot on top.

Now with the steel on bottom you really need to keep the steel shot ballistacally as close to the tss as you can as the steel will be behind the TSS and is there to keep a smaller pattern at range but you need the steel to still pack a punch. So in that case if you are shooting 8, 8.5, 9 then you'd probably want to be shooting 2, 1, B steel underneath so it retains similar energy at said 40-50 yd range as the tss.

Hope that makes sense.

Also, when testing with patterns (and you have to do this) I have gotten to where I start with Cylinder choke and then move up to skeet then Imp Cyl. I rarely get better patters with anything tighter than I/C. Every gun is different but that's what I've experienced.

caniborrowsomeammo

Postby caniborrowsomeammo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:36 pm

That's the info I was looking for 225. And confirms what I assumed. I load my duck loads with the TSS on the bottom #9 under 3's and my goose loads with 7.5 over BB.
Here 40 yards is a close shot as the birds are well educated and I run a Skeet 1 choke.

Greenhorn

Postby Greenhorn » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:26 am

Im new here. I’m sure I’m in the wrong place. I’ve been lurking as a non member for quite some time now.
I need an answer and I know you guys can help. Is it worth it to duplex tss with bismuth to save on filler and add pellet count? I know steel is cheaper but I don’t have any on hand. I want to make 20 and 28 gauge loads for duck/goose hunting. Using #3 bismuth and 9 or 7 tss

Seems like the velocity of bismuth and tss work would be ideal

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:20 am

Short answer, probably not. I'd shoot straight bismuth before trying to duplex it.

Can't you buy some air rifle BBs and use them? Can you buy a box of cheap steel shotgun shells with the pellet size of your choice and salvage the pellets?

...and since it is the day after Christmas, I have to add this: You'll shoot your eye out!

Greenhorn

Postby Greenhorn » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:28 pm

paulinkansas wrote:Short answer, probably not. I'd shoot straight bismuth before trying to duplex it.

Can't you buy some air rifle BBs and use them? Can you buy a box of cheap steel shotgun shells with the pellet size of your choice and salvage the pellets?

...and since it is the day after Christmas, I have to add this: You'll shoot your eye out!

Ok, guess I’ll go shopping. Thanks for the reply

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:58 am

Greenhorn, Not something I'd do, but if you're just looking to fill up a shell so you don't have to use pure TSS, and you don't have any steel... well, I guess at 1350fps and below it would work fine. But I'd rather shoot a pure Bi load, or do like Paul said and find some BBs or salvage some steel shot. No reason it wouldn't be OK, it just twangs my "not optimal use of $50/lb shot" sensor ;)

Return to “General and Beginners Information”