New from California, and I hate steel. There I said it!

Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: hawglips

caniborrowsomeammo

New from California, and I hate steel. There I said it!

Postby caniborrowsomeammo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:10 pm

I have been searching the interwebs as I want to get back into the reloading scene, at least for waterfowl.
Performance of steel has me depressed, and on a search (I have been searching for a while), I found a blog by Davein AZ, which lead me here.

I have my old Mec600 Jr set up for 12 G 2 3/4 and have ordered RSI HW manual and BPI Advantages to figure what kind of load I will want.

But, if anyone has any suggestions on this TSS shot and loading please feel free to point me in the right direction. Also knowing which suppliers you are happy with will be a big help.

I usually shoot a Browning A5 3" with a Jap barrel, but I have a few Rem 870's- 2 3/4, 3" and all the way up to 3 1/2"

I hunt the Petaluma River mostly, out of a boat. Cans, Blues, a spattering of mallards, lots of divers (keeps the dog in shape) and a few honkers for the most part. Did I mention we haven't had any weather yet?

P.coverts

Re: New from California, and I hate steel. There I said it!

Postby P.coverts » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:04 pm

I would say a 2 3/4" duplex loads will be killer for ducks and geese I am shooting a 20GA duplex with TSS and it is wicked good within 50 yards I don't shoot ducks further than that most my shots are 40 and under. That is in a 15 shell area, otherwise I shoot BOSS and it is very good also and the price is right. I personally think 3 1/2" shells suck and some 3 inch also way to much recoil I am loving my 20 ga loads at 1300 ish FPS.

Greg

Postby Greg » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:56 pm

I just started reloading tss and steel duplex this year so I don't have much on game experience with it yet but what I can say is that a load of .3 tss 8s and .7 steel 5s out of a 20 gauge will crumple a goose as far as I am comfortable shooting one (50ish yards). I shot a dozen or so geese and a handful of blue wings outstanding results on both. Our regular duck season doesn't open for a couple weeks. Get with Hal about your shot and get ready to be amazed.

caniborrowsomeammo

Postby caniborrowsomeammo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:50 pm

Well, I'm in contact with Hal. I'm fixing to order some #9 and #7.5, and get some suggested loadings from him in 2 3/4 when things start happening. I'll load some straight TSS and some duplex also (#1 steel and BB steel perhaps). It seems as from what I have gathered here 3" isn't really necessary. For that matter, I guess a 12 isn't really necessary either. But the only 20 I have is an old single shot H&R I picked up somewhere along on my life's journey.
I'll probably shoot my Jap A5 with the test loads to see if it will kick them out. I shoot an A5 better than other guns as I have been shooting them since 1968, when I bought my first one, when I was 12.
There is about 2 months of season left, so I should get some time in with the TSS.
Can't wait to be amazed.Really.

Return to “Introductions”