Wad hitting pattern board

Discussions on Handloading, Reloading, Ballistics, Patterns, and more.
kselkhunter

Wad hitting pattern board

Postby kselkhunter » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:57 pm

I'm a newbie and having trouble searching for my question with my phone. So thought I'd post the question.

Just pattern tested my first TSS load. Decent pattern. But the wad is hitting the board. Havent counted number of pellets yet. Just curious about the wad. Factory loads the wad isnt flying that far. Is it because I need to cut deeper slits in the wad? Or something else?

My first testing is with the BPI 7/8 ounce load published on their website. CDS078 wad. Mylar wrap. Cut in half so it's two pieces. Their recipe only called for one 1/4 inches felt spacer and the shot column was not all the way up to the overshot card. Might add a second spacer next go round. Roll crimped.

kselkhunter

Re: Wad hitting pattern board

Postby kselkhunter » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:24 pm

Never mind. Disregard. Obviously I'm a rookie. I inspected the recovered wad and compared to new wad. Yep. I forgot to slit the wad. Forgot I bought this wad unslit as BPI was out of the stock on the pre slit model. Duh.

That being said I'm not sure I will slit it. I counted 293 pellets inside a 20" circle at 30 yards with an improved cylinder choke. Plus the huge hole where the wad went through the cardboard. I'm assuming the missing 18 pellets were in the shot cup or bounced out of pattern. 93% in a 20" circle for my first ever handload of TSS. Seems decent for a first try.

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:22 pm

You forgot to slit the wad? Just wait until you forget to put powder in a hull, or mix the powder with your shot, or forget to put the wad in before adding the shot, or mix different sizes of shot together by accident.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:00 am

One of the cautions with not slitting the CSD wad is that at some point you're almost suredly going to get a tumble and it'll sling the shot everywhere....

kselkhunter

Postby kselkhunter » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:24 pm

I ended up deciding to go ahead and cut four slits in the wad. Solved the issue.

Definitely happy with the patterns with the #9. Loaded up some #7 TSS now for goose loads to pattern test next.

This is with 2 3/4" Fiochi hulls in my Browning A5.

Next up: my RMC brass hulls arrive in July, and will do some tests with this same 7/8 oz. load in my over/under in the brass hulls. Have that gun set up with Cylinder and Skeet chokes.

Return to “Handloading”