TSS Shot trap

General Chit Chat

Moderator: hawglips

Rick618

TSS Shot trap

Postby Rick618 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:42 pm

There are several build versions, including one I saw modified to have wheels, a good idea! I used a set of hand trucks and bolted the base on, allowing for removal, so that I could lay it flat in my truck for transport or later storage. It's about $150-200 project depending on what you have on hand. The pricey parts being the wood ~$40-50, the steel $50, the runner is $2.59 plus tax a foot and you have 24' ~$70. Then there's still the: glue, screws, contractor paper, staples....etc. I shot 5 2oz loads and recovered 9oz.
These are the instructions that I grabbed from the Gobbler Nation site: http://www.gobblernation.com/phpBB3/vie ... 18&t=10256 Image
Last edited by Rick618 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick618

Re: TSS Shot trap

Postby Rick618 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Rick618

Postby Rick618 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:52 pm

I found some 18ga steel at a sheet metal shop, $40. There are a few dents from several pellets that passed thru the 8 sheets of runner. And then there is the shot and debris. I used a hard drive magnet to collect the shot and would rethink that due to the odd shapes. There's a cylinder shaped magnet that the feed stores carry, it's called a cow magnet...google that! Had no idea but I think it would be easier to scrape the pellets from than the hard drive magnets.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:25 pm

Whats your thoughts on the pond liner plastic. Ive read a lot on gooblernation.com about it. So im curious if you think that would be sufficient on its own

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:25 pm

Btw nice trap!

Rick618

Postby Rick618 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:24 pm

Most anything will work, of sufficient thickness. Cheaper or free are always a good option. Pool and pond liners come in differing thickness but if you check at a pool/pond store they may have some used or end of a roll that you could get. I think even those 6-8" plastic strips that are used on cooler/freezer entrances would do. If it's questionable I'd double it up or only use the carpet runner on the first one or two curtains and see if it does the job.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:09 am

OK, this is a good idea!
I'd pattern a lot more TSS if I could recover it!
I'm building one! But I'll modify it so a roll of paper sits on bottom and can be pulled up across the front, over the top, and rolled up on backside.

Don't waste your time with individual sheets of paper, they're a pain in the wind at the range-- just make a big roll of patterns.
You don't even need to count them! Just buy the white paper rolls at HD, 39" and like 250 yards, for $12bucks. Sometimes they're over near the concrete area. Then take good phone pics of each shot before rolling the paper.
When home, load up the pics to computer and go to shotguninsight.com to use the auto-pattern-doofer. It will find the shot holes, count them all up, analyze the hell out of the pattern. It's what toasty and I use.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:21 am

Dave in AZ wrote:Don't waste your time with individual sheets of paper, they're a pain in the wind at the range-- just make a big roll of patterns.
You don't even need to count them! Just buy the white paper rolls at HD, 39" and like 250 yards, for $12bucks. Sometimes they're over near the concrete area. Then take good phone pics of each shot before rolling the paper.
When home, load up the pics to computer and go to shotguninsight.com to use the auto-pattern-doofer. It will find the shot holes, count them all up, analyze the hell out of the pattern. It's what toasty and I use.

I saw that in Toasty's post over at DHC. As soon as i found that site i went and bought some thick white paper. I just need to figure out a way to build a trap thats portable. I do most of my pattern work at a range so i need to be able to add it to the pattern plate they have. Im thinking the rubber liners mounted between a piece on angle iron and a flat bar bottled down.

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:56 am

I've got enough scrap plywood to probably reroof a shed or a small garage. Thought about using the wood as the backstop for a patterning board. When I want to recover the TSS, I cut the backstop into smaller pieces and burn it in a metal fire ring. The downside is that I can only use one size shot for patterning.

Rick618

Postby Rick618 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:15 pm

I started with the idea of using the paper attached to the device but just left it off, one less thing to contend with when moving it around. I left it and the stapler down range and just rolled it down and stapled it as I used it. I had some brown paper that I got from Uhaul or a packing dept at Office Depot, don't recall as it was sometime ago when I moved.

Something to consider is handles. Another thing is to sand the edges, nothing fancy but use a palm sander to knock off the splinters. After the 2nd splinter I found that helpful.

Return to “General”