Same shot weight with different type of shot

General data and information handloading data

Moderator: hawglips

North Alabama Hunter

Same shot weight with different type of shot

Postby North Alabama Hunter » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:47 pm

Can Factory loads be taken apart and replace shot only with different type of and size of shot as long as weight of new shot, buffer, filler is exactly the same as original?

paulinkansas

Re: Same shot weight with different type of shot

Postby paulinkansas » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:28 am

This is my own opinion, and by no means sound advice, but I would say yes. As long as you are removing steel shot from a factory steel shell and replacing it with another non-tox like HW or TSS. But this seems like a major p.i.t.a. It would be easier to reload your own shells from scratch. But something tells me you don't have a reloader, or you wouldn't be asking this question.
Look around, you can find bargains. Last year I bought a MEC 650 for $30 at an estate auction. A few years earlier I bought a 600 jr. with 25lbs of lead shot for $50.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:52 pm

caveat to Paul's answer. Of course the official answer is "No, use a tested recipe". The caveat to above is that it MAY be safe to replace shot with the same total payload/weight of different shot, IF THE FOLLOWING IS ALWAYS TRUE:
1. New shot is denser material that the old shot
2. New shot takes up less volume than the old shot.
3. If shot material is the same, new pellets are smaller than old, thus taking up less volume.

Basically it's a complete dart toss at what the pressure and speed will be though, if you don't have a bunch of data points of similar loads. And if you did such a thing, you for sure should be getting it tested by a pressure test house, say Precision Reloading. In general it's a bad idea if you don't absolutely know what you're doing.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:31 am

Dave in AZ wrote:caveat to Paul's answer. Of course the official answer is "No, use a tested recipe". The caveat to above is that it MAY be safe to replace shot with the same total payload/weight of different shot, IF THE FOLLOWING IS ALWAYS TRUE:
1. New shot is denser material that the old shot
2. New shot takes up less volume than the old shot.
3. If shot material is the same, new pellets are smaller than old, thus taking up less volume.

Basically it's a complete dart toss at what the pressure and speed will be though, if you don't have a bunch of data points of similar loads. And if you did such a thing, you for sure should be getting it tested by a pressure test house, say Precision Reloading. In general it's a bad idea if you don't absolutely know what you're doing.

One other thing to add to this is that the new shot cannot be hard shot replacing soft shot....

North Alabama Hunter

Postby North Alabama Hunter » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks for the responses
I have several older steel shot shells I was thinking about replacing with lead or TSS. Sometimes I over think some of this stuff and it’s better to get other opinions before doing something I’ll regret. I’ll probably just take them apart and reload from scratch that way I’ll know everything is as it should be. Thanks again

Return to “General and Beginners Information”