Choke for TSS

Duck and Goose hunting

Moderator: hawglips

Fabalis

Choke for TSS

Postby Fabalis » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:33 am

Hi every body,

What constriction do you recommend for using TSS load for waterfowl ? Maybe is function of the shot size but not sure...

Assuming that the TSS #9 is OK for Duck up to 50 yards and TSS #7 up to 70 yards, what do you recommend as choke ? Is it "dangerous" do use full choke with this pellet type in order to have the tightest pattern ?

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Re: Choke for TSS

Postby Fishh2o » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:00 pm

The denser materials seem to pattern a lot tighter. Personally I like a IC, LM and modified once I get some more patterns I will post up some comparisons out of my A400.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:27 am

BugDoc and toasty did a lot of patterning; as well as hammernhonkers, and of course Hal. They all told me CYLINDER or IC at most, at least with the 28ga I use, or the patterns are too tight at 40. The tighter chokes actually made the patterns less dense, probably due to hard shot bell effect passing through choke. Try a few shots with IC and Cyl. The problem I've read guys report is having patterns too tight.

I'm a TSS/steel duplex guy though, so I'm putting the TSS beneath the steel per Hal and toasty and others. I used IC choke for my shots and was satisfied with the patterns at 40 yards, but just shot a few.

With the shot trap from different thread I just saw, I will be able to pattern a lot more tss!

Fabalis

Postby Fabalis » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:46 am

Thank you for your answer,

Here in France, I don't know if you are aware, bu we hunt during the night with live duck and goose and the shot is down on the water with optics sometime at long range so a tighty pattern is not a problem. The game in fact, is to success to decide the ducks to land close to the others.

So, coming back to the choke, I will try several combination and see what is the best for our use !

Olivier

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Fabalis wrote:Thank you for your answer,

Here in France, I don't know if you are aware, bu we hunt during the night with live duck and goose and the shot is down on the water with optics sometime at long range so a tighty pattern is not a problem. The game in fact, is to success to decide the ducks to land close to the others.

So, coming back to the choke, I will try several combination and see what is the best for our use !

Olivier

Dang man I couldn't even think about shooting a duck at night. If you pull the trigger 30 minutes before sunrise it's a nice ticket around here.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:37 pm

Fabalis wrote:Thank you for your answer,

Olivier

Wow, what a different kind of hunting! I'd love to hear more about that.
Over here, there is such a tradition built up around duck hunting, and being part of that tradition is so much a part of it all, I can't even imagine doing ANY of those things-- hunting at night, shooting them on the water, using live ducks as decoys, or using optics! All of those things have been outlawed over in America since the old market hunting days I think, maybe early 1900s?? Well, you can shoot them on the water but no one does that unless they're wounded, or at least they don't admit to it ;)

It would be very interesting to hear you tell something about what duck hunting is like over there, and if there are any traditions of the sport what those are like.

For me, there is a great amount of joy in getting out there before sunrise, getting the decoys out, sitting in the blind waiting for first light, sipping coffee as I watch the world come alive around me and the flocks begin to get airborne. Hope to hear what it's like for you guys!

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:39 pm

This is very true Dave! I tell my hunting partner every time we go.. numbers are fun but nature and being here is better is the whole point. I love to watch satellites flash across the sky before sun up and the ducks feet at day break.

For me, there is a great amount of joy in getting out there before sunrise, getting the decoys out, sitting in the blind waiting for first light, sipping coffee as I watch the world come alive around me and the flocks begin to get airborne. Hope to hear what it's like for you guys!

Fabalis - Im in the same boat as Dave when you load up to go hunt ducks whats your hunt like and what birds are you targeting? Heck i might trade you a US hunt for a France hunt ;-)

Fabalis

Postby Fabalis » Tue May 03, 2016 11:31 am

Hi guys !

It's difficult to explain with a few words. Our tradition is to start the hunt at the sunshine, putting the live decoys on the lake. We choose the ducks by the call type they have and put them function of the wind, moon and season. We also mix the live and the plastic decoys on the same lake.

After that, we enter in a small "house" close to the lake and start to wait for the birds. Normally, if there is migration you can have more than 10 times ducks landing but normally 2 times is even a good night.

When the ducks arrived, you can hear the live duck calling their "friends" and maybe they could land. So it's during the night. You have also to look for the wild one on the lake and to determine if it's not a protected specie with a good binoculars. When you are sure you can shot, you use normal shotgun with an optic to be sure to kill clean the duck.

As I told you before, the hunting act is not really shot but the art of place you decoys in order the ducks to land where you want. The magic of the night makes really this hunting very amazing even if the score i snot very high. The emotion is more important than the score.

But I will post pictures in a next future...

++

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Tue May 03, 2016 6:15 pm

How do you keep your live decoy ducks from flying away with the birds you are hunting? How do you collect them after the hunt?

Fabalis

Postby Fabalis » Thu May 05, 2016 10:37 am

Instead of a lot of words, look at this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_7cCakRuqA

++

Return to “Waterfowl”