TSS X Steel

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

Fabalis

Re: TSS X Steel

Postby Fabalis » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi all,

I'm interested to load steel and TSS but my question is as following. Should I put the TSS under the steel or steel under TSS. I've read some different answers : If the amount of TSS is small (1/4 oz for exemple), the best is to put the steel after the TSS. If the amount is more in term of weight, the best is to put the TSS over the steel to not perturb ate the pattern.

In theory, the TSS keeps its velocity more time than the steel, so it's better to put it on the top. In another hand, if it's on the bottom, the concentration of TSS will be better and so the efficiency will increase at long range.

What do you mean about these different configuration ?

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:39 pm

Fabalis wrote:Hi all,

I'm interested to load steel and TSS but my question is as following. Should I put the TSS under the steel or steel under TSS. I've read some different answers : If the amount of TSS is small (1/4 oz for exemple), the best is to put the steel after the TSS. If the amount is more in term of weight, the best is to put the TSS over the steel to not perturb ate the pattern.

In theory, the TSS keeps its velocity more time than the steel, so it's better to put it on the top. In another hand, if it's on the bottom, the concentration of TSS will be better and so the efficiency will increase at long range.

What do you mean about these different configuration ?

I put the TSS in the bottom of the shot cup. I have not heard anyone really ever putting it on top unless it was for testing. I just loaded up 3 boxes of TSS 9.5s X Steel #4 for teal. I have 109 gr (1/4) TSS in these loads kind of just seeing if its needed or not. Last yeah for early season we lost a couple crippled woodies and i really don't what to have that this year. Plus I have a lot of 4 shot i need to use.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:33 pm

Depending on the ratio of TSS to steel, sometimes the TSS is best put on top. I don't think there is any set rule to go by at this stage in the game.

My advice is to try it both ways and see what patterns best for your situation.

iawiley

Postby iawiley » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:03 am

Just a follow up... I have shot up all my duplex loads at this point. I will never shoot straight steel again, absolutely amazed. The ranges that I struggled with when shooting steel were suddenly no problem, very rare to have any sort of cripple, and what sold everyone else in the boat were the multiple times they would unload their guns on a cripple... then watch me crush it with one shot. Hope you are stocked up Hal, cause I've got about a half dozen freinds wanting to order some now, plus a 9 yr old boy who thinks its cheating that he has to shoot steel while Dad gets to shoot the awesome stuff. Lol ( I'll have to get some 20 guage recipes from u, he's getting a new reloader for christmas). I haven't even shot the straight tss loads for the geese yet... haven't needed too. The duplex's gob smacked the geese I've shot while duck hunting without even screwing with changing shells out...nice to not be in bottom of boat shucking shells. And the best part... all this while shooting 1oz. and even some 7/8oz. loads. My shoulder is extremely grateful.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:22 pm

Good to hear results from hunters! What gun / Choke are you using if you don't mind sharing.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

iawiley

Postby iawiley » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:36 pm

Beretta pintail with a Carlsons Light Mod. choke. Probably need more open choke, just haven't bought 1 yet.

WVU

Postby WVU » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:56 pm

paulinkansas wrote:I reloaded #3 steel x #9 TSS load last year. I used the recipe from the Alliant website for a Federal GM hull with a Precision Reloading wad and 1 1/8 oz shot going 1425 fps. 1/4 oz of TSS #9 is about 108 pellets and 7/8 oz of steel 3 is 139 pellets. I top it off with a 1/4" felt wad.

Only got to hunt with them once before the season ended. Went 3 for 3 on mallards. Each one was probably dead before they hit the water. I found several of the #9 pellets under the skin on the exit side of the ducks. The birds were more than 40 yards away, but probably less than 50.

Does this load come out to just over 1.30/round?

From a $ perspective I'm looking at the difference in over the counter rounds vs the handloads. Merely from a curiosity standpoint. I'm planning on loading my own and using the TSS to "spike" a steel load.

From the effectiveness standpoint the load you described seems to have a much bigger advantage over a factory load

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Last time I did the math, a box of 2.75" steel reloads cost me $7.75. Adding 1/4 oz of TSS to each shell adds $25.00 to the price of a box. So a box of shells is $32.75, which comes to $1.31 per shell.

WVU

Postby WVU » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks Paul

Return to “TSS”