Just got my first press

General data and information handloading data

Moderator: hawglips

TNRIDGERUNNER

Just got my first press

Postby TNRIDGERUNNER » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:24 am

Mec Sizemaster. Any advice from you veteran reloaders? I'm interested in loading mainly 2 3/4" shells (mainly Federal Gold Medal Plastic, Remington STS, and Remington Nitro 27). I plan to load both steel and TSS, along with some duplex loads. I won't be able to start loading for another week or two. I'm just curious if there will be anything that needs tweaking on the machine (crimps, wad pressure or seating depth,etc.) along with any problems I may run into being a newbie? Thanks for all your help guys. I attached a photo of the brand new press mounted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

derbyacresbob

Re: Just got my first press

Postby derbyacresbob » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:36 pm

That Sizemaster is all you will ever need for reloading hunting loads!

I would use the STS and Nitro Hulls if you are going to load straight TSS shot in 1 oz to 1-1/4 oz loads. The federal Gold Medal hulls will be great steel shot load hulls because they have more room in them than the STS and Nitro hulls do.

Good luck with your Sizemaster!

TNRIDGERUNNER

Postby TNRIDGERUNNER » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Yea, I was thinking of using the Remington shells for straight TSS, and the Federal GM for steel and duplexes, however I am going to load my first TSS shells into a GM hull.

TNRIDGERUNNER

Postby TNRIDGERUNNER » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:58 pm

I was just messing around crimping a few hulls filled with paper towels (no components yet). This is the type of crimp I'm getting when I pretty well fill it full and compact it. Any way to get rid of the little circle in the middle? Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TNRIDGERUNNER

Postby TNRIDGERUNNER » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:01 pm

Another close up.

Erle

Postby Erle » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:26 pm

The only way I have ever removed it completely on once fired hulls, especially on those Remington hulls, was to trim the hull a little before reloading. This will necessitate a little adjustment inside to compensate for the slightly shorter hull.

I ended up not trimming them and using Ballistic Products very thin over-shot wad and putting a dab of their Shell Shield Crimp Sealant in the hole when finished crimping. It's a good idea to use the sealant on all duck hunting loads anyway since it waterproofs them.

If those are new hulls, the length of your crimp needs to be adjusted according to your instruction manual to make your folds a little longer. Also make sure the hulls are skieved on the inside.

It's much slower, but since I use them only for turkey hunting and do not shoot many, I now roll-crimp all my TSS loads.

Erle

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Welcome. Easiest change is to lower the PRECRIMP by a turn or two. This shoves more plastic into the crimp, and can fix that without having to mess with the final crimp, which is touchier due to the cam.

If that doesn't work then the MEC provided solution is to lower the cam a wee bit, which also shoves more plastic into the crimp... but it's a touchier adjustment. Other than the hole, those are pretty sweet looking reloads and I think would work well!

Return to “General and Beginners Information”