Field report of my first experience using TSS

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

mallard_drake85

Field report of my first experience using TSS

Postby mallard_drake85 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:16 pm

I've been an avid reloader for years now. An old timer hunting buddy of mine that helped my brother and I get into reloading some 13 years ago, suggested that since we prefer to reload Hevi-shot, Heavyweight 13, and bismuth, that we should look into the old Tungsten Super Shot. I found that Bucks Run listed HeavyWeight 18 on their email and I gave him a call. At $45/lb for #7.5's its not something I want to shoot a lot of! But I gave it a try.

I started off with a 1oz load in a AA hull and it didn't pattern well. I found another recipe in my heavy shot reloading book for a 1 1/8 oz load in a AA hull and it pattered 100% at 40 yards!!!

I loaded 6 of these and kept them with me all season. In January, I had the opportunity to bag some geese. The first one I shot was at 60 yards (with his feet down trying to land) and I killed him stone dead! His mate I shot at 57 yards trying to get away, and he too fell stone dead. The necropsy on these two birds found numerous pass thru wound channels in the wings, breasts, and necks of these two birds.

Near the end of January, I had an opportunity to hammer a single goose that broke away from a small flock and committed. I was hunting with my girlfriend and called the shot when the bird was at 45 yards and started to veer off. She shot and missed and I killed it around 55 yards. When she went to retrieve my bird, it was banded. The necropsy on that bird showed over two dozen hits through the back that penetrated completely out the breasts, neck, legs and wings

My twin brother has killed two Canada geese with this stuff at 52 and 58 yards respectively. He told me both times the he's shot, the bird "fell from the sky as if you dropped a dishrag full of sand".

It cost $0.11 for powder, $0.04 for primer, $3.21 for shot, $0.06 for fiber filler, $0.10 for Sam Wad= $3.52 per shell (minus cost of the hull). I know it's expensive, and I'm certain my other steel reloads of T's and BB's and regular hevi shot (12g/cc) and HW13 loads will kill at more than a dollar less per shell. But I just thought other reloaders might like to see what the super dense tungsten could do. It impressed me. And i'll keep a few loaded up just because.

Hope yall enjoyed my tests, results, and field report!
mallard_drake85

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Re: Field report of my first experience using TSS

Postby Fishh2o » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:29 am

Very nice and congratulations on the band :D ! I have some 1oz. #9s I have been pattern getting ready for next duck season. I would really like to get a good 3/4 oz load that patterns well too.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:11 am

Very nice.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:27 pm

Good report.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:24 am

One thing to keep in mind when using hevishot data for TSS, is that when you put cushion under the shot, the MV and psi will be changed significantly. Typically, it will reduce both MV and PSI.

And that leads to the 2nd thing. You just don't need as much speed with TSS to get the necessary penetration, so the reduction in speed isn't typically a big deal.

By the way, for future reference, I have lots of lab tested TSS load data in 12 gauge I've developed over the last 10 years, from 3/4 oz to 2-3/4 oz, which I give to whoever is getting their shot from me. I also have data in .410, 28 ga, 20 ga, and a more limited number of loads in 16 ga and 10 ga.

Pedro

Postby Pedro » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:13 pm

May be more costly, but you bagged geese that probably would not have been harvested otherwise. The memories made...priceless. Good job and congrats on the long range band!

andersoncn

Postby andersoncn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:41 pm

Nice work. What type of choke are most people using with TSS? I've heard it generally patterns tight. Thoughts?

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:03 pm

I like a light skeet or cylinder for wingshots under 40 yds.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:03 pm

andersoncn wrote:Nice work. What type of choke are most people using with TSS? I've heard it generally patterns tight. Thoughts?

I have been using a Rob Roberts T1 with 9s and 9.5s and like it a lot.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

andersoncn

Postby andersoncn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks guys. Are ya'll having any difficulty with killing ducks with such a small pellet (9 or 9.5)? Does that shot size drop them dead or do you have any cripples? I understand the ballistics and tissue penetration depths are far superior to steel, lead, and HS, etc. but the pellet size is so small I wonder if it has less tissue damage. Thoughts?

Return to “TSS”