TSS Unintended Travel

General Chit Chat

Moderator: hawglips

DagSwane

TSS Unintended Travel

Postby DagSwane » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:31 am

Can anyone calculate or have experiences with the distance of travel or drift of TSS, HTL, Bismuth, or steel shot. I’ve posted this question a few times on different forums and asked in personal conversations to the guys who know their their stuff.

We have many fields with suburban development around where we hunt. Even in the middle of no where, a field edge will be near houses, or streets, pole barns. I’ve been told some guys I hunt with have broken a trucks side window when shooting BB Steel beyond 380yards with a back wind. I load HW13/15, bismuth, and steel mostly. I have some steel TSS duplex loads as well and just want to be better educated on ballistics of what we are shooting. Most hunters aren’t aware of a lot of the science behind the shot, and simple numbers can hunt to educate them as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hawglips

Re: TSS Unintended Travel

Postby hawglips » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:36 am

The KPY Ballistics software is good for these type questions...

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/KPY-S ... o/716KPYB/

DagSwane

Re: TSS Unintended Travel

Postby DagSwane » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:10 pm

hawglips wrote:The KPY Ballistics software is good for these type questions...

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/KPY-S ... o/716KPYB/

Thank you. Are you able to run numbers for Tss 9’s, 7’s; HW15 6’s, HW13 6’s and 4’s, and Bismuth 2’s? These are probably the most common and used shot sizes in their categories, or on the larger side of the shot frequently used. 15mph backwind at 500foot elevation. Let’s say 1400fps for everything listed. If you’re able to do it and make a generic foundational understanding of how far it may travel, I think it will help make some more educated hunters and shooters.

Thank you!

Return to “General”