New low brass Fiocchi 2 3/4 20 ga hull problems, Ideas??

General Chit Chat

Moderator: hawglips

continental shooter

Re: New low brass Fiocchi 2 3/4 20 ga hull problems, Ideas??

Postby continental shooter » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:22 pm

P.coverts wrote:All my test loads with lil Gun have come back with high pressures (all 5 strings of 6 shells), even with backing down to 34grains, just not having any luck. It looks like the high pressure is the culprit and the pressures were all over the place some very high working on some other solutions, and possibly scraping lil gun altogether. Lil gun is just not working for my loads or for test loads done by someone else.

what wad are you using and where do you put the filler? both variables can (and will) increase the pressure if the original recipe is not followed.

Also, could it be Hogdon is doing an 'Alliant' and making LilGun faster than it used to be? I noticed some changes with A-Steel so, wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

I use 35gr on my 3" duplex loadl and so far not noticed any issue with it. I put my fillers under the TSS then steel. Closures are horrible unless you put an overshot card but so far I shot 3 shells and folded 2 mallards whom had thought they were flying at safe distance :lol:

I use the only available wad to me which is B&P28; waiting on the 1oz Gualandi one but can't get them in UK; might have to add to my next shipment from BPI or get someone in Italy to send them across; although I spoke to Gualandi and they said no on in Italy stocks them yet.

I've not tested any of these loads but followed some thread here and on DHC plus Dave's blog & help to work these out.

As soon as I figure out what I want to do with TSS (duplex vs full TSS) I will send some to the proof house.

Cheers,

P.coverts

Re: New low brass Fiocchi 2 3/4 20 ga hull problems, Ideas??

Postby P.coverts » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:19 pm

so my powder batch is from 2016 so I doubt it is the powder called Hodg and they said the powder should be fine so something has changed, precision made some reloads just like mine and they went high pressure so that is the problem. That is why the shells expanded.

Return to “General”